Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #1

The check is in the mail!

We finally pulled the trigger and committed to a new SMB Sprinter! This forum has been incredibly helpful in gathering information and making decisions, so I just wanted to contribute back what little new information we've gotten about the current state of the ordering process, for any lurkers out there.

About the different offices...
We called up all 3 SMB offices, and all had long waiting lists out until around August 2017. Fresno was a few weeks longer due to their 12-week assembly line vs 4 weeks, but there were no short-cuts anywhere. Nancy at SMB-North was incredibly nice, helpful, and informative, but we ended up going with SMB-West due to proximity.

As has been stated elsewhere, the different offices have different offerings. SMB-North is more conservative about hacking up the base van, and doesn't support after-market upgrades to the radio or back-up camera systems, nor will they cut away a side panel for external access to a cassette toilet. Nick at SMB-West encouraged radio/camera upgrades, but not aggressively so.

About the Sprinter...
Given the waiting list, all SMB offices are already ordering the 2017 Sprinters, even though they're not on the market yet and they don't even have confirmed prices. So there's a bit of a leap of faith that the costs won't skyrocket.

The only known change in available options, compared to the 2016 Sprinter, is that factory swivel seats are now available on all chassis, not just the higher GVW ones. We were planning to get the comfiest chairs but only swivel the passenger seat, but as an options package it was supposedly more reasonable to just do both. (Another leap of faith!)

About our build...
We kept to our original plan for a high-roof RB 4x4, despite some last-minute waffling about whether it was "too big". The prices add up quick! We selected nearly all the Comfort/Convenience options (except navigation), rear camera, trailer hitch wiring, and rear-window wiper & defroster. We likely will never use a trailer, but it's so much cheaper now than later and could kill the resale value if it's not present. I'm still a little unclear on how much of the MSRP we actually pay, but as they say, "In for a penny, in for a pound... of thousand dollar bills!"

We're still researching and debating some of the interior components, but nothing that affects the OEM options from Mercedes-Benz, so we've got plenty of time to finalize that, hopefully visiting Fresno in the fall to see them all in person.

The wait time is a disappointment, but that'll just give me a little more time at work to pay this thing off, if I can concentrate on anything else.

Cheers!

AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #2

We sent our check on Friday, too! Congrats, man!

We're doing most of what you're doing, too. The more factory options the better, however, we won't be doing the acoustic parking sensors. We'll likely have a brush guard on at some point, and it's always a pain to have them when you have stuff in the hitch (rack, etc). We have a Porsche Cayenne as our daily, and it's fairly intelligent when it comes to turning off the rear sensors when we have something attached, but with a backup cam, I can't imagine needing the acoustic sensors.

I think we have around 20K in options over the standard 144. We spent 4 hours with a Mercedes Sprinter salesman this weekend, and it was pretty informative. We added a few options and subtracted some after talking with him. We also got the chance to crawl around in a few, and it was incredible the heat difference depending on the color. White vans were so cool and the outside felt luke warm to touch. Darker grays would burn your hand they were so hot. Since we're in Denver where the sun power is quite a bit more, and it'll be parked outside, we're rethinking our color choice.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

Congratulations to both of you! If you've read my build thread you know I have just ended the "hurry up and wait" and "decisions, decisions, decisions" phase with the build just now getting underway in Austin.

Andrew, my van should be here in the Bay Area when you head south to Fresno, feel free get in contact with me at the time and if you want we can get together and go through it and discuss the build process that we will have just gone through. Hopefully it will be nothing but fond memories by then!

Tags
ordering, smb, sprinter