Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
The morning after....

Well I picked up my SMB Monday morning. I drooled most of the day driving around and had planned to take it out overnight and share it with Mother Nature but the next morning about 10 minutes after driving around the "service engine soon" light came on...oh boy! So Tuesday it sat all day while I was trying to find a Ford dealer to get me in but ended up taking it in today around noon...5 1/2 hrs later I was out. You can see below that a bolt protruding through the floor was rubbing against an evap hose leading to the evap canister which gave the code...evap leak. After doing a smoke test and finding the hole the tech replaced the hose and stuck a little plastic thingy over the bolt....note to self: replace little plastic thingy! That solution he came up with doesn't put my mind at ease at all.
And if you look at the second picture...just to the right of the little plastic thingy...look at the screw that just about punctured that line...

But it's fixed and here I go!...

Old 10-30-2008, 12:35 AM   #2

I don't know what is on the other side of that bolt, but it seems like he could have just cut it shorter, so that it wouldn't be a problem at all.

If you can't do that, McMaster Carr has some really nice abrasion protection products for hoses. Search "sleeving" here:
http://www.mcmastercarr.com

P.S.: Or, probably just as good, a thicker hose that can be split and fits over the one you need to protect.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
I know your pain man! We also had an evap leak on our SMB after picking it up from SMB West. Unfortunately it was more involved than a portruding bolt. SMB accidentally sawed through a selonoid when installing the gas tank. However, Peter and SMB west did their best to accommodate and expedite the repairs with our local Ford dealer.

Congratulations and The rig looks great!

Here is an image of the "infamous solenoid"

Here is a link to that topic:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...ight=evap+leak
-Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
I realize SMB's are complex machines, and there are screws, bolts, hoses, wires, and everything else all over the place... but shouldn't it be part of the SMB policy to NOT damage the vehicle when creating a SMB in the first place? It's not like they're new at this.

I mean, puncturing hoses? Sawing through parts?

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Quote:
I realize SMB's are complex machines, and there are screws, bolts, hoses, wires, and everything else all over the place... but shouldn't it be part of the SMB policy to NOT damage the vehicle when creating a SMB in the first place? It's not like they're new at this.
Dave,

You're right, these are complex machines that SMB builds from the ground up. There will be some imperfections and issues. The thing that you should be thinking about is how SMB will handle and resolve the "imperfections" or human errors. In our case, they handled it great. Peter from SMB West worked with our local Ford dealer to fixed the problem ASAP. I'm pretty sure even a $250,000 EarthRoamer has a few hickups as well.

This forum is awesome for finding out problems, fixes, and good folks. Most people don't rant about how great their SMB did today, but almost everyone will post the problems, and that's one of the reasons I am glad I found sporstmobileforum.com!

I had the same concerns as you did before taking the GIANT leap, but we do not have any regrets on purchasing our brand new SMB.

Just my 2cents!

-Ray

PS: I don't work for SMB, just a satisfied customer (so far)

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
TX It's a good idea to crawl under and look for all those kinds of spots. I found several place that were exposed to sharp edges, bolts and what not. Get a handfull of zip ties and take a look. I also use the split hose type protection. I found wires hanging that could get caught by branches and stuff but it probably varies from vehicle to vehicle. Have fun.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
TX It's a good idea to crawl under and look for all those kinds of spots. I found several place that were exposed to sharp edges, bolts and what not. Get a handfull of zip ties and take a look. I also use the split hose type protection. I found wires hanging that could get caught by branches and stuff but it probably varies from vehicle to vehicle. Have fun.
Ditto on grabbing a hand of Zip ties and doing a underneath and engine compartment inspection..

I'v found a few things through the years.

Most common one if you go offroad often: is the two ATF steel/aluminum cooler lines that run from the transmission to the radiator, they run parallel to each other and in some places either touch or come close to touching.. notice how they run and come close to touching a few spots. For me, they started to rub and eventually wear thru to create a micro puncture.. wasn't a pretty site with the ATF fluid spraying out in a fine mist. It took a while for it to rub as it did and the hole was micro!

The ATF lines are imprevised Ford parts so I had to find a local truck/semi supply to get the lines and selfbend and flanged em to fit.
If I knew before it happened, I would have protected the two lines from rubbing each other using common Kevlar hose protector(Zip tied) that I found at NAPA...

Other spots to check:
AirCondition Refrigerant Lines (Rub points - Protect and/or Zip Tie)

If SMB put in a house battery and ran a dc charge line from the alternator, check that one too. (Zip Tie - Secure)

Propane Lines - check for leaks (Zip Tie - Secure) (After a few years)

Any other misc electrical lines..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Sam

Txn2daBone- Your van looks great! Bummer that you had the minor problem.
I agree with cutting off the bolt. It appears that SMB put a nylock nut on there so you shouldn't have to worry about the nut falling off. The plastic cap that the Ford dealer put on should keep it from puncturing the line again. Either way would probably work out just fine.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Thank's for everyone's input! I plan on going bumper to bumper with a handful of zip ties to poke and prod...wiggle and jiggle and push and pull on everything I can get my hands on just to make sure other parts stay out of harms way.

Just a note on my original post: The Ford tech that replaced the hose had told me that problem was caused by the hose rubbing on the bolt. Come to find out yesterday when I stopped in Austin that the Ford dealership called Paul (to collect for the repair bill) and said that the hose had been drilled through. Whatever the case may be the Ford tech used a "smoke machine" as he put it to blow smoke through the lines to find the leak. SMB Austin is now going to purchase a "smoke machine" to test their work.

It's nice to see that they take problems like this seriously and the guys that work there take pride in their workmanship. They were very apologetic about the whole thing.

Ric
Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #10

I am supposed to pick up my SMB at SMBW on Thur but they will let me know if there is a delay while they correct a cupboard and add the 3rd set of rails on the pull out cupboard, that I originally requested and are on the work order. I have gone 4 times to check on the build and have found something that needs to be corrected each time. I will go the day before I am to take delivery to check again.

It looks great! I am so happy and cannot wait. I will check underneath before I take delivery and will stay in the area a couple of days while I do a shakedown. I will crawl under with the zip ties. Then it is to the desert for another shakedown and on to S. K. for the 4X4.

Does anyone know of a place in so Calif.( such as a small repair place ) to which I could take my SMB for them to do the type of preventive inspection you are talking about? Too bad that I cannot rely on SMBW

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote