Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
I also like the proposal by Ned555 in the thread "Best Alarm with GPS Tracking?", 4/23/2015, of using a SPOT Trace GPS tracker in case the vehicle actually does get taken. The unit is activated when it senses motion. A lot cheaper than LoJack.Jack
There's also this

Robot Check

It's $30, and uses a SIM card. It will text you if your van moves, and it will tell you where it is at the moment. It has remote shutdown, and you can even listen to the theives talking. You can set alarm points like excess speed, movement beyond a pre-defined range and more. Great if you have teens who drive. I bought one, but have yet to install it due to other projects taking priority, but it's now at the top of the list.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
There's also this

Robot Check

It's $30, and uses a SIM card. It will text you if your van moves, and it will tell you where it is at the moment. It has remote shutdown, and you can even listen to the theives talking. You can set alarm points like excess speed, movement beyond a pre-defined range and more. Great if you have teens who drive. I bought one, but have yet to install it due to other projects taking priority, but it's now at the top of the list.
Interesting ! Thanks for sharing Jeff.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #23

Quote:
There's also this

Robot Check

Jeff, there's a video on youtube of a guy installing one of those (TK103B) on an Econoline.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Jeff, there's a video on youtube of a guy installing one of those (TK103B) on an Econoline.
Link???????????
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Link???????????
He must be too busy playing with his new toy and trying to figure our how to increase his budget.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #26

Quote:
He must be too busy playing with his new toy and trying to figure our how to increase his budget.
LOL, sorry - took the dog to the beach.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #27

Thanks for the link Greg. I had not thought of putting the GPS antenna under the panel on the top of the dash, great idea. I just wish he had gone into more detail about the cell phone and programing aspect of the install though. It should be as easy as finding a reasonably priced plan and then installing the SIM card, but I've yet to do that part of the research. As for finding which wires will work in your van, a factory wiring diagram will be really usefull. I love the idea of shutting off the engine as a thief tries to escape, bait car style. If the mic is hooked up, it would be fun to listen in as it coasts to a stop. I also like the idea of turning on the flashers and headlights as it comes to a stop. Have you ordered one yet? If you bring it up to Juneau, I'll install it for you. Thanks again for posting.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #28

I agree. Looks like a pretty cool setup with lots of options. And being installed in an Econoline - what are the chances? I haven't ordered one yet. Gonna shop around for a plan first and see what it'll cost annually.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #29

I use a simple kill switch in the starting circuit (2006 6.0l) and it would take a bit of time for a thief to figure it out. Gives me piece of mind. I intend to install a hidden GPS tracker with a low monthly before my trip back east in May.
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #30

Had the Ravelco installed today. They showed up when they said they would, explained the system to me, installed it in about 1:45:00, and were very reluctant to accept a tip, but I insisted. I tried looking around to see what they did, but you literally can't see anything other than the connection under the dash, which is exactly the point.

He asked if there was a battery disconnect between the house battery and chassis battery but, of course, there is none...just the separator. I went out, after about 20 minutes, to get my iPhone cable out of the van and he had the coolant tank propped up on the engine so he was doing something in the separator area. Maybe just disconnecting the cables for the install.

All in all, good experience. Glad it's in!