Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat View Post
I love my Revelco. My only gripe is that it can be tricky to put the connector together. I wish it were easier to line up the plug and receptical, especially in the dark. Other than that it is just about perfect.
Same here, great to have it - my first line of defense against theft. I find my quickest way to align the two connectors is to use both hands, a bit awkward when you want to git and go. But gives me peace of mind.

Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #72

Garage
The wiring goes through the firewall just behind the coolant tank. As for plugging it in, in the dark, I put the point where the Keychain attaches at 9 o'clock and there you go! Great product!
Old 11-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by caideN View Post
Looking to get one installed on my van. Who installed it for you?
I called the number on their website (Ravelco - Dealers Page) and they sent an installer to my office. Less than two hours later he was done. Couldn't have been easier.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #74

I've had my SMB broken into 3 times.

The first time they smashed the passenger window while parked across the street from my home around 6 or 7 AM. The glass break / motion sensor on my Viper alarm went off, tripping the siren and my two way remote. They were gone by the time I got to the window, maybe 30 seconds. There were no seen or heard cars so thief must have been on foot. Nothing missing but I had to go get a new window.

The second time was about 4 AM while parked at GF's apartment. I woke up to my two way remote beeping and then heard a car take off quickly. When I went outside I found the thief had jammed a screwdriver just underneath the key slot of the side door and pried it open (this is a common technique on Ford vans.) The door was left wide open but nothing was missing. I had to have the keyway (bodywork) repaired.

The third time I was coming out of a shopping mall, while on vacation with an ex-GF, to see the van brake lights "mysteriously" on and then watched the reverse lights come on as the bad guy was attempting to drive my van away. The thief didn't get any further than that. The clumsy perp fell down a few times, then spent some time in the hospital, rehab and jail. Oh, plus HIS car was impounded and inventoried for evidence -- and he was charged with additional break-ins to other vehicles, a few days after he made bail on my case. Back to jail for round 2!

How did he manage to steal the van? He jammed a screwdriver into the keyway of the rear doors and then found a spare key/remote inside the van. It turns out my ex GF had left the spare key/remote that I gave her to carry in case of emergency, while we were on vacation, on the floor between the front seats of the van because she didn't feel like carrying it. Note that she is an EX girlfriend....

This was all in the first ~5 years I owned the van.

I thought about putting security film on the windows, jimmy jammers on the door locks and various other devices. In the end, I still have my remote start/Viper alarm system that works very well but I did add a hidden kill switch that I use SOMETIMES... No matter how much security you add, a truly determined thief will always win, if it means he has to come with a tow truck and then park the van in a steel building so GPS tracking wont work (yes, this is a known technique.)

In the end? I moved out of NYC and haven't had a problem since.

-Joey
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #75
GAR

Wow, all good info. Now I will have to look into getting some security. Good grief!

Anyone ever have their roof rack or bumpers stolen? Any tips on security in that area?

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
Anyone ever have their roof rack or bumpers stolen? Any tips on security in that area? Gar

Most of the scum bags want to get in and out of the van as quickly as possible, so taking the time to remove a bumper or rack is unlikely. However if they take the entire van somewhere to strip it, nothing you do to secure the bumper or rack will help once they have it in a shop. I worry far less about smash and grab thefts than I do about the entire van being taken.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #77

On my 4th Ravelco. Awesome product. I also added doors /glass break sensors.
RLwhaler7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #78
GAR

Ravelco installed. Thanks guys! Feel better already!

Note: Military/ veteran, LEO, AAA, all get a discount. Came to my work, was done in less then two hours. Very professional install.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
Ravelco installed. Thanks guys! Feel better already!

Note: Military/ veteran, LEO, AAA, all get a discount. Came to my work, was done in less then two hours. Very professional install.

Gar
Good to hear. Wish I had known about the AAA discount.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #80

Arranged to meet at a Home Depot while passing through Orange Co. We were back on the road within an hour after the installer started work.

Good peace of mind even if the system is "challenged".
snomad is offline   Reply With Quote