Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #1

Unhappy This may be a question for Quigley 4x4

I've been trying to figure out why my 2003 Ford E350 Econoline EB, 4X4 Van is squirrely when rounding turns at speeds of 60 or more. Yes I have followed the last thread regarding this dilemma. So since the beginning of my buildout, I've had Argile install the RIP kit which helped a little, after they did there final test drive, the tech said he felt a little tire sway, but I'm finking that hard to swallow. my tires are Nitto Grabbers, 10 ply E rated. So I stopped at a tire shop in Fresno while passing through and told them my dilemma willing to replace my new tires if they could convince me it would fix the problem, but the salesman talked to a few of the mechanics and then told me it was a common problem when Sportsmobile was installing Quigley drivetrains back in the day. He said often the rear end they installed was not as wide as the front end, causing the rear end to sway on curves. So i measured and yes my rear end was 2 inches shorter than the front, so I called Quigley and they suggested purchasing spacers for the rear to push to tires out, and that's just what I did, it did help but there is still a little delay from the front end to the rear when taking a curve. I also installed a rear sway bar, which I don't think made any difference. My van weighs 10,000 pounds so maybe its as good as its going to get, but today I realized the axle is off center, my passenger side wheel sticks out about 1 inch more than the driver side, so my question to you is, do any of you that have the same van have an offset rear axle? maybe this is my next remedy. I would think Argile would have fixed this when they replaced my leaf springs and shocks during the upgrade. Any suggestions.

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
This may be a question for Quigley 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
I've been trying to figure out why my 2003 Ford E350 Econoline EB, 4X4 Van is squirrely when rounding turns at speeds of 60 or more. Yes I have followed the last thread regarding this dilemma. So since the beginning of my buildout, I've had Argile install the RIP kit which helped a little, after they did there final test drive, the tech said he felt a little tire sway, but I'm finking that hard to swallow. my tires are Nitto Grabbers, 10 ply E rated. So I stopped at a tire shop in Fresno while passing through and told them my dilemma willing to replace my new tires if they could convince me it would fix the problem, but the salesman talked to a few of the mechanics and then told me it was a common problem when Sportsmobile was installing Quigley drivetrains back in the day. He said often the rear end they installed was not as wide as the front end, causing the rear end to sway on curves. So i measured and yes my rear end was 2 inches shorter than the front, so I called Quigley and they suggested purchasing spacers for the rear to push to tires out, and that's just what I did, it did help but there is still a little delay from the front end to the rear when taking a curve. I also installed a rear sway bar, which I don't think made any difference. My van weighs 10,000 pounds so maybe its as good as its going to get, but today I realized the axle is off center, my passenger side wheel sticks out about 1 inch more than the driver side, so my question to you is, do any of you that have the same van have an offset rear axle? maybe this is my next remedy. I would think Argile would have fixed this when they replaced my leaf springs and shocks during the upgrade. Any suggestions.

Ok check the front panard bar bushings then check the leaf spring bushings on the rear. I’m not sold on agile and the new level of work.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #3

Fyi - Quigley typically did not “install” rear axles rather they used the rear axle that came with the passenger and cargo vans from Ford. The front track of the vans (2wd) was always ~ 2” wider than the rear track. Quigley installed front axles that matched the original e series front track width. The spacers for the rear axles are a way of matching the rear track to the front track.

Re: passenger side rear being 1” further out than the driver side rear - where are the measurements being taken? The locating pins for the leaf springs are welded to the rear axle. You could have an issue in the bushings and/or shackles. Are there lift blocks between the leaf springs and the spring perches?
Old 02-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #4

Your description sounds like it has an over-steer tendency. This means you need to increase FRONT roll stiffness. Most likely problem is your original sway bar end-bushing are shot, allowing slop. Also, if you installed RIP front coils and did not add sway-bar-lowering blocks, this further reduces your front roll-stiffness.

The rear isn't normally offset, but there's certainly a lot of installation-tolerance slop in any leaf-spring axle (and even in the body mounts for that matter... so always measure from the frame). Worn spring bushings can also allow it to shift relative to the frame, and that shift while driving making any other drive-ability problems worse.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #5

"My van weighs 10,000 pounds so maybe its as good as its going to get, but today I realized the axle is off center, my passenger side wheel sticks out about 1 inch more than the driver side, so my question to you is, do any of you that have the same van have an offset rear axle?"

Can you elaborate on this? and as to why.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #6

I agree with everything you say, the measurements are from the tire to the rear fender. there are no lift blocks, this van only has 30,000 mile on it I'd be surprised if the bushings were worn already, I wonder if the stock bushings cant hold up to the added weight of the van. I will check all bushings including the ones Agile replaced. thanks you have a great understanding of this van.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #7

I do have the swaybar lowering blocks, but the swaybar returns to the frame at an upward angle.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #8

Would the rear end being off center cause a problem with tracking while making curves at high speed?
Old 02-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #9

Pics of my front end

Here are some pics of my sway bar and all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200216_135122345.jpg   IMG_20200216_135133721.jpg  
Old 02-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #10

Your sway bar installation looks good. That's how it's supposed to be pointed. But you do still have the stock rubber bushings in the axle. These just don't work well. Moog polyurethane bushings are cheap, and even if they don't completely fix it, they should make an improvement.

The rear end being off-center should not cause handling problems. But if it's moving during turns, it certainly will. Is there a gap between the rear leaf-eyes and the frame brackets? Some vans require a washer here, and if it doesn't get reinstalled, the spring can slide on the bolt.