Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
bes

Thule artificial raingutter top mount

Hi, I'm new here. I have a question about roof rack components. This looks like a knowledgeable and helpful community so I'm hoping someone might have some good advice.

I have Tacoma with a snugtop shell on the back. The guy I bought the rig off of had a roof rack on the shell. He kept the bars and footings, but left the mounts. I'm about 99% sure the mounts are the Thule artificial raingutters. What seems odd though is that the mounts are fastened to the top of the shell. And I'm having trouble finding a system that will work with that orientation of the mounts. That is the artificial raingutters are typically mounted to the sides of a vehicle roof. These ones are actually mounted to flat on the top.

Does anybody have any experience with this issue? Thanks!

bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

Garage
Pictures would help.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
bes

Thanks for the response, Otter
Attached Thumbnails
TacomaTopperRack2.jpg   TacomaTopperRack1.jpg  
Old 09-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #4

Garage
Yep, pretty sure that’s what you’ve got there. A quick google turned up a few more people who’ve attached them that way. Here’s one Jeep poster:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/h...pacity-431716/

I had the Yakima version of these for years on my pickup shell. In my opinion, using these on the top would be crazy unsafe. The whole point of the adapter is to mimic the rain gutter where you now have downward force onto the adapter and gripping force of the tower onto the adapter.

I would never use these as applied and would advise either relocating or leave them there and install new ones. Here’s how they’re meant to work:
Attached Thumbnails
97CE76D1-EAF8-4409-8B06-E677BB9C871A.jpg  
Old 09-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #5

Thule artificial raingutter top mount

Not sure if they are Thule or Yakima, but both made side mount and top mount “artificial rain gutters.” In Yakima’s case they are called the TopLoader and have been around for many years. Both versions are designed to work with raingutter-mount towers (1A in Yakima’s case).

They are popular for pickup shells and also pop-up camper roofs, where there may not be enough space on the vertical sides to mount the SideLoader version. I don’t see any reason to remove them if they are still solidly attached and aren’t leaking.

https://yakima.com/products/bolt-toploader
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
bes

Thanks for the replies.

I agree it seems unsafe to use these brackets as a top mount. I know they were previously used this way but I'm not finding a solution that would ensure the safety and soundness of the system.

My next step is to try and find top mount bracket with the same bolt pattern. I do not want to drill new holes!

Incidentally, one of the professional rack installers in my area is adamant that these brackets are the Yakima Bolt Top Loader. I'm skeptical, but might spend a couple hours letting them take a closer look at it. If they can find something that works...and can guarantee their work...then that might be a good option as well.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #7

The Top Loader has been around literally for decades. If there was a significant issue with racks coming off I doubt they would still be in production largely unchanged. .
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote