Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

Garage
Thule roof track parts?

Hi folks,

I recently picked up a used SMB Sprinter. Loving it so far, but want to leverage the installed Thule roof tracks to install some cross bars. I have some old Thule bits, but the "T" bolts I have don't fit (they were for sliding into an Aero bar). Does anyone know what parts I'd need in order to mount the feet and cross bars to the track? The Thule web site is close to useless for this, so I thought maybe someone here had specific experience.

Thanks in advance!

Twindaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #2

Are you referring to these type of tracks mounted on the roof?
Click image for larger version

Name:	311B3413-8EB8-4589-A8B2-54382C2EDC28.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	38720
Old 03-12-2021, 03:54 PM   #3

Garage
Yeah - I think they're the same as in that pic.
They're are whatever SMB installs, but I didn't get any paperwork, so have no specifics. My prior experience with Thule was on a Volvo that had specific mount points for a root rack - super easy. These tracks are new to me. I assume there's an adapter kit used to mount the feet, but it's unclear to me which is the right kit.
Thanks!
Old 03-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #4

Thule is indeed unhelpful when it comes to older rack parts. I’ve had much better luck with businesses that specialize in solving rack problems, like eTrailer.com or rackattack.com. They have all the parts in stock and can tell you what works with what.
Dogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:45 PM   #5

This is the paperwork that came with my van for the Thule feet Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	38779
Old 03-16-2021, 11:49 PM   #6

And this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2021-03-16-22:49:39-297.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	38780
Old 03-17-2021, 12:04 AM   #7
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Those are what we have on Sporty...actually four total...two house/hold my solar panel(s), the other two are just a bit apart to hold/rest our canoe...all great/solid, but only for the initial sale...Dog is correct about the two sites mentioned. We recently lost a cross bolt for a bracket to hold the canoe, and went right to e-trailer and found what I needed and had it a week later. Your way ahead b/c you have part numbers you can punch in...BTW, the Aero bars are a completely different (newer) design, I am sure done to sell more product
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #8

Garage
Thanks!

I appreciate all the assistance!
It's been a busy week - spring skiing conditions are incredible, so a lot of time with the family on the slopes and prepping for a MTB camping trip tomorrow.
In any case, the point about the retailers was accurate. Here's what two of the better-known sources reported (posting mostly for anyone else in my predicament)

The rails are likely a Thule TB60 which is also closely replicated by other mfg's

The fit kit needed is a Thule 3101. This gets you four mounts to which you can then attach your preferred feet and crossbars (~$130).

The Rapid Podium 460R feet (~$220) will mount to these fit kits, however, limits your cross bar options to the Thule ProBar Evo 200 (~$150). If you have older bars already, such as a square or round bar that's clamped in place, they wont work.

I imagine that there are other options available, but this setup was corroborated by multiple sources.

In the past I've been able to cobble together solutions from a variety of MFGs, but it's sometimes more of a time suck than just buying the full kit. In my case, I have so many parts from Thule, Yakima and Rocky Mounts that it's been worth the time. This time, I'll go with the recommended kit and use my remaining parts to complete the project.

Thanks again for all the help! (And feel free to offer other suggestions or corrections!)
Old 03-17-2021, 09:23 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
BTW, the Aero bars are a completely different (newer) design, I am sure done to sell more product
That's always been my assumption as well.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:39 PM   #10

When I bought my SMB two years ago I found that the rail system, which runs the length of the SMB pop top, are from Yakima. The uprights and square crossbars are from Thule.