Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #11

Re: Tips needed for newbies~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaParkers
I am planning to bring my sewing machine..I am a quilter....any tips or thoughts on that from anybody?
Retrofit this into your build and you'll have no worries about power:

As for campsites, I agree with Mike. We tend to reserve provincial/state/national parks in advance (we don't have the luxury of being retired ... yet), but leave space in the itinerary to "go with the flow".

Brent
Priceless.....You guys are no help whatsoever when it comes to sewing...~! C'mon....give the little lady a break and let her see my question, Please. I can't believe I am the only gal that wants to sew in this home away from home. ?? Maybe it would use too much power....but oh no! not the treadle~~~

IndianaParkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaParkers
I am planning to bring my sewing machine..I am a quilter....any tips or thoughts on that from anybody? I can see I am going to be spending a great deal of time on the Forum!! As soon as we pick it up I will see if I can post a picture... Thanks again...keep the tips coming~!

Please dont tell my wife about the sewing machine!!!

If we take her machine i will have to cook my own food
and have to drag the kayak!!
I may not be experienced...but I know enough to see you have tons of room for Mrs. Wilson's sewing machine~!! As for cooking....she won't sew everyday~!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #13

Looks like there is a sub group of SMB/CPAP users here :^) I also run mine off the outlet on 12 volts and have used it many nights with no battery problems.

I prefer the rustic National Forest or BLM campgrounds, when I do use a campground. Not only are they cheaper than KOA's etc, but are often more remote and much more quiet.

Brian
Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #14

For the sewing machine, or other electric device, find the power consumption (watts used) and make sure your inverter is rated higher than the number of watts needed. If it's a real power hog (a microwave, for example, but I have no idea what a sewing machine draws) you'll either have to idle the engine when using it (not really practical for a sewing machine, I would guess) or you'll need lots of battery capacity or a generator.

Brian
Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Tips needed for newbies~!

Don't tell my wife about the sewing machine going in the SMB or she will have her surger and sewing machine on our next trip.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
Don't tell my wife about the sewing machine going in the SMB or she will have her surger and sewing machine on our next trip.
You guys aren't the only ones with toys~!~!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #17

Since we are on the subject of sewing machines, have you seen Greydawg's signature?

Attached Thumbnails
greydawg signature.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: tiff greydawg signature.tiff (26.1 KB, 338 views)
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #18

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

About the CPAP I spent 6weeks on the road from Wyoming to Alaska and back with only 1 deep cycle Battery run thru an inverter with a insulator so no draw from the Battery that starts the Van but as soon as I started the Van it would charge the deep cycle Battery. I never had any problem what so ever. And that van was a 1981 Ford so im sure your Van has a system that is much better mine was super simple.

Enjoy

Ron
Old 07-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #19

On our trips it is always way colder then we thought it was going to be- so for required clothing I would say you should pack warmer stuff then you ever think you might need (which includes hat and gloves even in July!)

The other thing is you should go on as many "weekend" or overnight short trips as you can before going on a grand adventure... every time we go we learn something about what to take or what we didn't need after all. Prepare like you're going on a long one (e.g. take the quilt work and sewing machine) and see how it goes, what you don't have and most importantly what you can simplify... to wit, I'd say maybe you should save the actual quilting for home and spend your traveling preparing all your fabrics and pieces for quilting... or take up quilting by hand.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Since we are on the subject of sewing machines, have you seen Greydawg's signature?

Just to clarify: I don't travel with the sewing machine -- I just make camping gear and cool stuff for my homebrew! I believe that LenS and Jo travel with Jo's quilting machine.

My next tasks: side door screens, curtain for front windows/windshield, and an insulated cover for the ice chest.

See, it really is a power tool for home-brewers!