Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #1

Tire and Chain Survey for Winter Driving

All,

I've been trying to decide on what kind of chain to buy. After spending time reading this forum as well as the Sprinter forum (as well as the owner's manual) I wasn't able to discern any consensus. Rather than just re ask a question others have asked in the past, I thought it might be interesting to take a quick survey of readers from the forum to see what they use. If enough people answer, I'll consolidate the info after about a week or so. The relevant questions are (I think):

1) is your vehicle 2wd or 4wd?
2) what is the rough gross weight?
3) what size tires you use?
4) do you have chains/cables? what make and model?
5) how often have you used them (never - once or twice - often)?
6) any anecdotal info you wish to share

I have a 2018 4wd sprinter with an unloaded weight of 7100 lbs and the factory Continental tires LT245/75r16. (Using the Security Chain website, the recommended set up is ZT741 cable which might be too light duty for a vehicle of this weight.)
The mercedes manual is vague only mentioning the SAE Type U for chains or other traction aids. SMB, probably for legal reasons, does not make a recommendation.
Thanks to everyone who wishes to participate!
Scott

logrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #2

I use those exact cables on my trailer. They've held up well. I went with them vs regular quick-fit chains due to clearance to the shock mount. I suspect SCC recommends them for your van due to similar clearance constraints.

They've held up fine on my trailer, which is loaded up to about 6,000 pounds per axle. I've probably put over 5,000 miles on them. Basically, I use them whenever the chains-required signs are up.

As long as you don't spin your tires, they should hold up fine for you.

On the van, I use Heavy Duty quick-fits from Les Schwab. They look like this:

My rear axle weight close to 8,000 pounds when loaded with the trailer, which is the only time I use them. Total combined weight is around 22,000 pounds. The chains only go on the outer duals, so they don't have as much weight on them, but they do all of the tractive work. Probably IMO overkill for a Sprinter, especially one that doesn't tow. But they work very well so they could be a good option if you'll be going into deep heavy snow (like off highway trails, or even mud), assuming you have enough clearance.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by logrider View Post

1) is your vehicle 2wd or 4wd? 4WD E350

2) what is the rough gross weight? 7450lbs

3) what size tires you use? 285/17’s

4) do you have chains/cables? what make and model? CHAINS, JUST LIKE THE ONES PICTURED IN CARRINGB’S POST ABOVE

5) how often have you used them (never - once or twice - often)? NEVER

6) any anecdotal info you wish to share. I CARRY THEM BECAUSE THE SIGNS SAY I HAVE TO. BUT I’VE NEVER HAD TO USE THEM DESPITE ALL THE WINTER MOUNTAIN DRIVING. 4WD AND GREAT TIRES SEEM TO DO IT ALL FOR ME.
—————————————————————-

Tags
chains, tires, winter