Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #21

Re: Tires-Non 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ what dont you like about the at2's and what are they on?
They're on my 2010 Tacoma Double Cab Offroad. I don't know what to say about not liking them really, I mean there is nothing to criticize except they're...they're... boring? mushy? unappealing? It's hard to describe.

There's no curb appeal, unlike the Nitto AT which look sharp in my opinion. It didn't seem like this would be the case, but once mounted they look about as appealing as the tires on my wife's Volvo.

There is no performance, I mean they're fine and all but the Toyo's and Nittos I've had in the past really improved things, like every set was "WOW, THIS IS BETTER!" On this truck, I took some duratracks that I really hate off and went from awful to meh. $900 tires shouldn't be meh.

Again, I like the tires on my wife's Volvo better- I don't even know the name or brand, but they improved the ride and are "good". These on my little truck are just OK.

Last, the thing I love about the Toyo MT so much is they just go where you point them- there is no road, there are no grooves, pothole to uneven surface and they just ignore it. The Nitto AT do this to a lesser degree, I suppose, in that I never think about it (where the ToyoMT are so extreme in this you can instantly tell they just go anywhere, the Nitto don't really make you think about it, but in retrospect I can't think of them catching in cracks or grooves or whatnot).

The duratracks I hated followed every hairline irregularity like it was a pintrack, and while the Toyo AT2 don't do that, they also don't seem to have that effortless track that the Nitto ATs have- while they're not jumping in road irregularities or anything, I am thinking about it.

It's a little like getting pancakes that aren't cooked in the middle- I mean pancakes are great, but when the inside isn't cooked, it's like meh. They aren't bad pancakes, they don't taste bad, they're just- doughy. Not bad, but not great.

Come to think of it- doughy isn't too far off- I mean driving back from the Airport today in high winds wasn't a nightmare or anything, but it wasn't effortless either. And I wondered for the 5th or 6th time if my TPMS was working. See, like at least five times since I got these tires I would have stopped and inspected them for being flat or low if I didn't know the TPMS would be going off otherwise. That's not good in my opinion, to have a tire that drives like one of them might be flat at times.

It's highly possible the Tacoma itself is compounding things, I mean the Duratracks were god-awful on it, and I have a hard time believing such bad tires would be made after a year- if all that bad was just those tires. So it's possible the AT2s are great and the truck is dragging them down to meh, but I did drive other Tacomas, and they didn't seem bad. The F250-to-SMB was pretty comparable, and the Toyo MT were as expected on the SMB after the Jeep TJ had them, but the Taco is IFS and un-American, and these AT2s are P rated not D or E.

I wish I had the funds to review a bunch of tires, and figure out what the deal is, but the AT2s- I'm just not feeling the love.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #22

Got the Open Country H/T and a few brake items replaced at the same time. Turns out two of the tires I had were showing signs of dry rot. So it makes me feel better (and poorer) in the decision I made.

Took it for a little test drive. About 400 miles total. While it's still not as nice as I'd like it's a whole lot better then how it handled previously. Pretty comfortable and quiet, steers a lot better.

Thank you all for your information. Once it stops raining I'll get out and get some pictures of the new tires and floor I put in.
Jaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #23

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
... and these AT2s are P rated not D or E.
gah very disheartening review, but a much appreciated one. I hope whats quoted above is the reason for a sloppy feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I wish I had the funds to review a bunch of tires...
you and me both. i know what car tires rule and not an ounce of thought goes into new race tires etc...but tires for this beast is a new learning curve for me.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote