Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #11

Re: to generator or not to generator

Sorry everybody, I may be in the minority here, but generators don't belong at remote campsites, no matter what the weather. And there isn't a generator made that doesn't intrude on the peace and quiet that we're all trying to get to by being out in the woods in the first place. May as well camp in a Wal Mart parking lot. One of the first things I look for when I circle the campground looking for a spot, is the telltale red plastic gas can, and unless I see a chain saw somewhere, I move on down the road.

Tom

Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Sorry everybody, I may be in the minority here, but generators don't belong at remote campsites, no matter what the weather. And there isn't a generator made that doesn't intrude on the peace and quiet that we're all trying to get to by being out in the woods in the first place. May as well camp in a Wal Mart parking lot. One of the first things I look for when I circle the campground looking for a spot, is the telltale red plastic gas can, and unless I see a chain saw somewhere, I move on down the road.

Tom
That may be true (I don't have a generator), but there are probably a lot of people who don't think a 10,000lb van doesn't belong in those places either. It's all a matter of perspective.

Herb
Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #13

My van came with a built in generator. I never us it. Skip it and save the weight and money for something else.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #14

I have the Onan Microlite because I live in the desert and at the local lakes in the summer it’s impossible to camp without an a/c. Some of the lake parks without hookups allow generators to run at any hour, even at night when it’s very hot.
However, when I stay in a mountain campground I never turn it on because it’s way too noisy and the noise carries throughout the whole place. Even when there is no one around I don't turn it on because the din just gets to you and the smell from the exhaust stinks up the area around the van. I wound up buying a little Yamaha for the few times I need electricity (it's very quiet). Another thing, I found the Starcool is not enough when it's in the 90s. I now have a portable house a/c that I plan to use next summer.

Hope this helps
Langton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langton
.... I now have a portable house a/c that I plan to use next summer....
Thats interesting. How big is it? What are the specs? Name and model?? How do you plan on mounting it?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #16

Have you seen this AC unit? Look near the bottom of the page:

http://www.safaricondo.com/acces/aireng.php

A house window AC unit mounted into the rear window of the van.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #17

Thanks for all of the feedback. Sounds like the Honda 2000 is the way to go.
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote