Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #1

Towing and Trailer hitch capacity 2012 E250 RB

Hello All-
Im considering the purchase of an RV trailer. Most likely it will be in the 25-27 foot range.
I am hoping to tow it with my van.
My van is a 2012 E250 with 5.4 liter, Quigley 4x4, light SMB build (folding seat/bed, cabinets, galley...no stove or sink). My manual and online says the towing capacity is 7300 pounds.
So my questions to the forum are:
What is a reasonable limit for trailer weight? 500,600,700#?
Are there any recommendations for air springs to adjust level?
Since my van is equipped with the 5.4L, how bad will it be pulling a 6000# trailer? Indiana to Utah.
Any other info or insight is appreciated.
Thanks
John

jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:29 AM   #2

You need to start by telling us your axle ratios. Makes a huge difference whether you are running 3.73 or 4.56 gears. Also, what size tires are you running?
Old 04-03-2023, 11:20 AM   #3

My axles are 3.73
My tire size is: 265 / 70 R17

Thx
Old 04-03-2023, 01:28 PM   #4

Garage
We had a 1996 Clubwagon (1/2 ton-ish) with the older 5.8 liter motor, and tried to tow an older 18 foot travel trailer. It was quite unstable on the freeway.

Now we have a 2009 E250 5.4 L 2wd with a high top camper conversion. We regularly tow a small trailer with about 1200 lb gross weight, no brakes. It works very well.

There are 2 calculations required for allowable trailer weight.
1. Towing capacity as you have found.
2. Also limited by Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR): Trailer weight = GCWR minus the scale weight of your loaded van. Your GCWR is likely about 13,000 lb (ours is), so if your van scales at 8,000 lb, the trailer with cargo could be up to 5,000 lb theoretically.

Based on our experience, a total trailer weight of 5,000 lb might be OK, if it was a tandem axle trailer with good front/rear load balance. Definitely would want trailer brakes. The biggest aide to stability was a rear anti-sway bar for us.

Your axle ratio and tire size might be OK too, just need to slow down and lock out overdrive.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:38 PM   #5

As one who regularly tows with a 5.4, I can say you'll be fine, but don't be in a hurry. Coming over some passes on my way back from Death Valley (I think I had 3 or 4 passes of 5k'+ in 300 miles) about a week ago, I had a 30-40mph headwind and my 5.4 was giving all she had for extended periods of time. With 5.13 gears and 35" tires, I was still VERY aware of my ~7k lb toy hauler (a little one at 17x7) behind me, but it at least never had to drop into first gear once I was on the move.

That said, I usually get right around 10mpg towing, but got a new personal worst on that trip of 6.8mpg on one tank and a best of 8.4mpg on another! Again, that hasn't been typical. That same route is typically uneventful for me, but that headwind was brutal for the power I had available and had me contemplating a new truck purchase! My previous travel trailer was bigger (24x8) but weighed similar (anywhere from 14k-16k combined) when loaded for the desert. Tongue weight is around 700-800lbs and I use a 1200lb weight distribution hitch with the sway control cranked down tight to help combat crosswinds... my extended body has a lot of extra leverage on the hitch than a regular body. It towed okay with 4.56 gears and 35" tires but it really only used 3 gears. With the 5.13's it can comfortably cruise along in 4th when it's not hilly, but I feel like 4.88 's and 35"s would have been the sweet spot. It would take 4.30's to put yours in that same rpm range. I know that's lower than most would recommend, but I found myself towing a much higher percentage of my miles than I used to, so it's a worthwhile tradeoff for me. Being that most of your route is flat, I think you'll be fine with your current setup (though you may be cussin' at it when climbing the Rockies!)
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:44 PM   #6

Ok so:
GVW+Towing Capacity = Gross Combined weight rating
9000 + 7300 = 16,300#
correct?

So thats ok...
Now, Need to understand best tire diameter / gear ratio setup
Old 04-04-2023, 02:45 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jso5000 View Post
Ok so:
GVW+Towing Capacity = Gross Combined weight rating
9000 + 7300 = 16,300#
correct?

So thats ok...
Now, Need to understand best tire diameter / gear ratio setup
For safety; make sure you check the Load Rating on your tire selection - They'll need to be able to handle the additional weight.
If you don't already have one, might consider adding a rear sway bar at the same time.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:47 AM   #8

I found a calculator online that computes a gear ratio based on current tire size and current diff ratio. Put in your new tire size and it spits out the equivalent ratio. It also computes a lo-ratio for a bit more power.

If I go from my 31.5 inch tires (3.73 gears) to 33"s then it suggests the following:
equiv ratio: 3.91
lo-ratio: 4.26

and for 35"s
equiv ratio: 4.14
lo-ratio: 4.56

I was hoping to run 33s. So I have to look at the choices but likely to be either 4.10, 4.56. Maybe there is something in between (4.30s)? So if I go with 33's which is the best ratio?

Anyways, If anyone has a point of view or opinion to share on my findings its much appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #9

Garage
I’d go with the 4:56, or you’ll be wishing for better gearing ever time you encounter hills or steep grades.
Plug in your choices and see where your RPMs run on each of your choices. If you are looking for gas mileage benifits then also consider the stress you put on your engine In other words; running a little higher rpm’s isn’t going to impact fuel consumption as much as being under-geared and having your foot farther down on the gas peddle more often.
If you’re peddling a 10speed bike up a hill in 6th gear it takes a lot of energy, if you switch to 3rd gear then YES you’ll be peddling faster, but it’s also considerably less stress on your muscles.
Plus, a gasser gets closer to peek HP at higher rpm’s.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:24 PM   #10

Garage
No. GCWR is specified by the manufacturer. It is stamped on door frame, in owner's manual and/or looked up online based on VIN.