Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #11

Re: Transfer Flow aux tank fuse/wiring etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Very cool, Thanks! Problem is they are on the west coast correct?
Yep: Chico, CA.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #12

OK, today's update. I went out to the van to begin work, first task dropping the rear Transferflow tank. The leak is gone. The tank is nearly dry on the outside and all traces of fuel on the gravel pad where I'm working are gone, except for the lingering smell of course. I know the leak isn't fixed but at least I can work around it now without it dripping fuel. As soon as I do move it, I'm sure the leak will resume. Oh, BTW, yes, that tank is full of fuel.

I didn't take pics yet (CarringB) but will, however I did pull the hoses off at the Y connector just behind the fuel filter (which is midship on the frame just in front of the main tank). I turned on the key to pump the fuel neatly in to a bucket but it will not flow. Why? It will not flow from either tank for more than a few seconds, and won't gravity feed out obviously or I would've done that.

Short of dropping this tank full of few I'm running out of options. I have a hand pump but that would take forever.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #13

Fuel pump only primes for a second when you turn the key. Engine had to be running to continue to pump. If you had a shop computer you could command it on. Other than, maybe jumper the relay?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #14

Thanks, yes, Transferflow confirmed that. I thought that might be the case.

Well, I've got to hand it to Transferflow. They aren't making these anymore but Brad went way above and beyond to help me over the phone. It's so nice to see a company who still believes in customer service. He probably spent 30 minutes on the phone with me. He confirmed a lot of things for me, but was open about not knowing what they were doing 18 years ago.
Yes, the fuse and wiring for the rear fuel pump just piggybacks off the front, no need for a separate circuit since the switch determines that only one at a time runs. The tank is a 26 gal, and would be over $1k to replace since it would be a custom build from them at this point. Actually, I think he mentioned that if a customer wanted one they would have someone else make it, but I'm not quite sure if that's what he was getting at.
He also emailed me some PDFs on the installation which I have yet to look at, but I will update this if they reveal anything.
I was able to clean up the spot where I thought the leak originated and it started seeping again. I patched it with JB Waterweld for the moment and it stopped the leak while seeping fuel, pretty impressive. I will run or drain some fuel out of the tank and drop it when it's lighter.
After I had it cleaned up a little and with decent light I figured out that this is almost certainly a weld defect rather than a rust issue. The tank looks really good, there is no cancerous rust except on the thin strapping SMB used and underneath it where moisture stayed.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage

What about those internal tank coating kits. Are they a bad choice?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
What about those internal tank coating kits. Are they a bad choice?
I've had great success on motorcycle tanks with an internal coating. Problem is you have to remove the tank, thoroughly clean it, pour in the sealant and rotate the tank to completely coat the inside. Not a big problem on a small MC tank, but larger, heavier tank could be an issue.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #17

I've thought of that, but I'm hoping this is a problem I don't have to fool with any longer. I checked on the JB fix today and it's as hard as stone. I will still drop the tank and pull the sender out to investigate as soon as I run this tank dry. I certainly don't want to crud up my fuel filter with rusty crap now that I know I only have one. And yes, I will most certainly be carrying a spare regardless.