Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #11

I think the bigger issue is that Greg filled up 4 times last week.

Let's see, 40 gallons x 4 x 2.10 ... ouch.

Props for getting out and using our SMB!

1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
wannaSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #12

I've had the issue since day one. It is not foam that comes out the filler pipe but gasoline. If doesn't seem to matter if I am on the fast setting of the pump hose or the slow setting. Sometimes it will spill out after only putting in a few gallons, when I know I am down 20 gallons. When this happens, I am prepared to spill out at least twice. It stinks up the inside and makes a mess on the outside. I have loved everything about our van except the gas tank and am trying to get it resolved before we really start using it next spring. Transferflow is a little hesitant to work on it because they state that their tanks have only been tested and approved for 2003 and earlier vans. I told them I would sign a waiver to release them of any wrong doing whatsoever, I am just trying to get it set up so it will fill without a hassle. We had the install done at Salem Kroger. the guys installed it late on a Friday afternoon so I am hoping that it was just something overlooked in the install process. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Yes it smells up the cab on mine too. I actually carry a adaptor for the sink faucet and a flat hose with spary nossle to wash it down. It really sucks looking for a carwash every time the diesel comes shooting out. Some gas pumps don't have that collar but it doesn't make any difference and just sprays back inside the fuel door area. The diesel smell will not go away until washed down...by far the worst part of my van.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
OCLV,

We have a Transferflow on our 2008 installed by SMB, and I know many other post 2003 SMBs have them. On top of that, the Transfer Flow web site talks about models that are post 2003 being fine, BUT it is a different tank pre and post 2003.

Your van is not in CA, so it should be able to be set up with the non-CA config.

Have you talked to SMB? I would discuss it with them and see if you can get some help there or at least some instruction on what they do to change the config from CA to non-CA.

I can only imagine the frustration.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaSMB
I think the bigger issue is that Greg filled up 4 times last week.

Let's see, 40 gallons x 4 x 2.10 ... ouch.

Props for getting out and using our SMB!
Fortunately they were not 40 gallon fills each time (34, 18, 21, 38) AND luckily this math still comes out to be less that airfare to Glendale AZ.

....and I avoided paying for a hotel also.

In fact I spent $11.25 for a hotdog and drink at the game (ouch), and $3.27 for two burritos on the drive home.... no other out of pocket expenses besides fuel.

$11.25 for hotdog and drink

$3.27 for two burritos

$239.97 for diesel

$0 for hotel

And owning a SMB = Priceless
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #16

I will print this out and take it with me to Transferflow on Monday. I'll let you know what I learn. oclv
Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #17

No news. They were too busy to look at the van today. I had to go to Chico for a sales meeting and was hoping they could check it out. Rocky was up front with me on Friday and said that they probably could not look at it today. I took a chance since I was going to be so close. Oh well. I'll make an appointment and get it up there in the near future. oclv