Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Transferflow lines to nowhere??

So I have a 2000 7.3l diesel SMB with the 46 gallon TF tank and there appears to be an extra hose that is not currently being used and I am not sure what it's for. Along the inside of the driver's side frame rail there are what appear to be 2 fuel lines(?) that are connected together in the rear of the van with a Y shaped plastic fitting. As you follow the lines towards the front of the van, one line turns and heads for the top of the TF tank where the fuel pump sits. The other one keeps heading towards the front of the van and as it gets roughly where the drivers seat is, it ends with what looks like the male end. However, it is not capped it is just sitting there open ended. Any ideas what this should/did connect to?

Pics:

Y fitting towards the rear of the van:

Uncapped end near front of van:

Old 07-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #2

Do you have a Dual Tank configuration (Select either front or rear tank)? Or a transfer setup (Trax controller fills the front from the rear as you drive). If its a transfer setup, it only needs on line. Dual tank requires the 2nd for a return.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

I'll take a look at mine later.. are there any symptoms or did you just notice dead end line?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

Van is new to me so I do not know the original setup. All I currently have is the one 46 gallon tank. There is no other tank under the van, spare tire is still located in the stock position under the rear of the van.(which is where I thought the second tank is usually located on an RB) I also do not have the Trax controller up in the front by the steering wheel.

Here are some pics of my tank.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #5

No symptoms, just crawling under the van checking stuff out. It's kinda what I do on Friday nights for fun, nothing wrong with that.....right??!?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #6

I had the same deal on my factory 1999 7.3. That funky Y configuration is the OEM tank vent lines. Mine were deadhead too. Im guessing the CA version had a charcoal can back there or something.

I removed it since it went to nothing, and routed my single tank vent up into the filler neck cavity. (Zip tied to the filler neck hose)
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
I had the same deal on my factory 1999 7.3. That funky Y configuration is the OEM tank vent lines. Mine were deadhead too. Im guessing the CA version had a charcoal can back there or something.

I removed it since it went to nothing, and routed my single tank vent up into the filler neck cavity. (Zip tied to the filler neck hose)
Well, there you go. Damn Californians.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #8

OK cool that would make sense. I will try to to re-route mine as well to get the open end up and out of the way of incoming debris.

Now, I am just about on E and the last time I filled up I only got 35 gallons from E, so I have read through all the transferflow "46g but only getting 35g" threads. So I am going to see if I am in the 10 gallons above full or 10 gallons below E crowd!
Old 07-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

I have the aerotanks 46 gallon, and true to form that sucker holds 46 gallons! Its mond boggling. Im driving a tanker truck down the road.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
No symptoms, just crawling under the van checking stuff out. It's kinda what I do on Friday nights for fun, nothing wrong with that.....right??!?
No Ben!!! There is NOTHING wrong with that!!! I find myself (sometimes) just sitting staring at my SMB, just smiling!!! Hell, I found an 'extra' air line from by rear airbags Jon at Quadvan installed to air-up my tires... I had either forgotten he told me about or too excited to remember everything? I was just "poking" around one day too and saw the fitting/valve...wait till your waxing it in mid January in the garage!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote