Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #1

Garage
Transit and Ford models/ who's selling what now and why?

Hi! I am still new to the SMB world but am hooked and hoping to buy one as soon as finances allow, likely within the next year. I am not a motorhead and don't understand much about engines and sure can't tell you what this or that van is by sight on the road. But I do know what I like and what I want and (soon) what I can afford. With that, I've got some questions about SMBs and where things are going. I hope someone can answer them without getting too technical. Also, I was quick to see that a lot of people on here are passionate about their opinions and preferences and get off topic quickly- hopefully not on this one.

First, I've only been checking the classified for 5 months, but it appears to me that looking here, Craigslist, Ebay, etc., there are a lot more diesels for sale than gas SMBs. Can someone explain this to me, please? Is this simply by virtue of the fact that so many vans were originally intended for fleet or work vans (as opposed to personal use) back when diesel was much cheaper? I'm assuming they made more diesels than gas- is that correct? Mainly I want to know because I am not a fan of diesels (noise and smell). I know, that seems to be one of the hot-button issues on here!

Then I see where some are wanting to get a new Ford E-series before Ford stops selling them. Does this sentiment foresee a rush on new E-series vans before Ford phases them out? I'm wondering if this might mean a lot of vans for sale soon, both gas and diesel.

Which leads me to my next question(s). Is Ford's Transit going to be offered in gas and diesel options in the USA (both in 4x4)? I assume it's going to be something like the County 4x4 as shown in the Wiki page about the Transit. The Wiki page made it sound like they were also all diesels.

Maybe I should just get used to the idea of diesels! Or not...

Finally, is this change to Transits going to turn SMB and Quigley upside down?

I guess what I am aiming at is getting a better feel for the market and what I might expect to see on the classifieds over the next year. This may help me to know when is the best time to "pull the trigger", to buy new or used, or even to buy gas or diesel.

Thank you! This is a great forum and I have learned so much but there is SO much more to learn it's freakin' overwhelming sometimes!!!

Scott

Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #2

Re: Transit and Ford models/ who's selling what now and why?

Scott,

I hope others more knowledgeable will chime in, but I can tell you one thing. The diesels have already been phased out of the E-Series vans. Only gas engines are available in new vans.

Don't know what will be offered in the Transit, but I believe Ford has said the gas EcoBoost V6 and a diesel option will be offered.

Hope this helps.

Brent
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

Re: Transit and Ford models/ who's selling what now and why?

I have a 2wd Ford SMB with the 5.4 gas and it's fine for our needs. Gets 15-18mpg on the highway and has suitable power.

Regarding the seeming preponderance of diesels on this forum, I think it's due to the fact that many of the posters on the forum own 4x4 SMBs. The 4WD SMB vans seem to run a good bit heavier than the 2WD vans, with the 4WD conversions, Aluminess bumpers, and all the other goodies that often get hung on the 4WD vans. So, they need the extra power/torque of the diesel engines or the V10 gasser.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote