Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #11

Re: Transit SMB

Yeah, having that PVC vent pipe right through the living space seems a bit...we'll go with "uncreative." Might be a consequence of starting with a window van?

The plan is to sleep across the bed. I think he's 5'9 or 5'10. Mother in law is shorter than that. I'll check the dimensions.

They definitely prioritized storage space.

MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #12

See if you can get a shot of the vent exit on the roof.

They could have put a couple of 45 deg elbows in and routed it back against the windows and boxed it in. Seems like an "oh crap, forgot we need a vent and customer is picking up this unit up in 60 minutes" solution. So they must have a black water (toilet) and separate grey water (sink) holding tanks? Also, see if you can find out the capacity of each, if separate. Thxs!
Old 06-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #13

I like it!

Not gonna lie.... I think the factory interior trim looks better than most of the stuff SMB does. I can't stand the lack of proper door trim, and 70's style speaker grills, that SMB manages to tack on.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #14

Did they do anything with the passenger side curtain airbags? Or will they just launch the cabinets across the van in a crash?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #15

First Transit RV conversion I've seen. And the second SMB van with toilet under countertop -- the first was on ProMaster. Not sure if that's a new trend but not one I personally like.

Being that it's a window van it would also be good to know the width of the couch in back. Everything including center aisle looks narrower than I expected, but may be optical illusion due to photo.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #16
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Wondering if it would be possible to route that vent pipe right out through the side of the van, although would imagine it might get stinky!!! That is certainly an uncreative solution to say the least. Derek (CCV) is getting a customers transit in a few months, I think he's putting a top on it? will be interesting to see that, and what I would consider doing for our next rig, when the time comes, with of course the Quigley 4X4, diesel, indoor marine toilet/shower, diesel heater and all the aluminess goodies! What engine is in this one? Small ecoboost?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #17

I asked about the vent pipe- he said it had to go through the roof.

Chance- The aisle is narrow. I think just a by product of lots of storage.

I'll try to get answers to the other questions tonight. FIL's working on the van, and I'm working on work.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #18

Interesting on the vent, because my (older/E-Series) has the sink vent coming out the side wall of the van, sort of behind the sink counter. (It has a metal grille over it, similar to the SMB battery vent.) 'course, there may have been some other reason that is Transit-specific.

Thanks for posting the photos - the wagon interior "liner" does look nice. Do you know if SMB took it down and insulated behind it, or...?
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #19

Okay, some answers to questions:

Bed tapers from 5'8'' to 5'2" at the back.
2 separate holding tanks, he thinks both are 12 gal.
Engine is 6 cyl, not eco boost. He said EB just gives you more torque, which he doesn't need.
The cabinet has blowout panels for the airbags.
No added insulation.

I'll try to get a shot of the vent tomorrow
Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorieSugg
....cut.....

Chance- The aisle is narrow. I think just a by product of lots of storage.

.....cut....
While I'm sure lots of storage doesn't help, I think starting out with passenger van doesn't help either. In your pictures it looks like outside of cabinets line up with width of couch, which you say is around 5'8". That's narrow compared to other options.

Keeping the factory headliner with AC vents looks great but essentially eliminates overhead cabinets for storage.

By the way, I don't see a roof AC in pictures. Is there an AC other than factory engine-driven AC? And is that a solar panel at front of van on roof that can be seen in photo?
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote