Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #11

Re: Trojan Tire Carrier and Rear Bumper Storage Box

Of course, but it will look awkward (IMHO).

Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #12

What's wrong with using the welded SS ladders as mounting points for the tyres and jerricans etc? One on each side should give you a lot of choices and I figure if they can handle the weight of the average person they should hold a 75 lb tyre or a 40 lb gas can.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #13

Big difference between a preson (even a 250lb one ) climbing up a ladder and hanging a load off of it and driving down the road. A average 265-16 weighs in at around 75lbs. and while I can easily pick up 75lbs if I have to carry it around all day its a different story. Then when you start talking about my 37" tires/wheels....
Old 11-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
What's wrong with using the welded SS ladders as mounting points for the tyres and jerricans etc?
I think it's more of a dynamic load, try to catch that 75lb tire and it's a lot harder than picking it up. If the load isn't tight on anything it will not ride as well.

There is a crush factor, and wear and tear on the door hinges- not wholly different from the door mounted spare, which I know from experience is a bad thing to bump into anything with.

But you can bolt a Jerry can holder directly to the door if you want- I don't see why the ladder would be that much different. Even the Aluminess have their failure points, or at least there was a reason they went to 3 hinges instead of 2, and the hinge bolts chew up the aluminum.

I say hang stuff from the ladder- you could even make a storage solution from the ladder style mounts, it's all the same, just another method of attaching stuff to your door.