Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #1

True snow/winter tires for 4x4 van?

I live at 6k feet elevation. Snow/ice is a daily reality. My Toyo AT's E rated extremes are basically hockey pucks when there is snow/ice on the ground.
Anyone living in the mountains running true winter/studded tires on their 4x4 van?

I know that AT/All season tires can have the "3 peak symbol". I have run those tires on both my 4x4 highlander and 4x4 f150 and the difference between true winter tires and 3 peak rated AT's is not even comparable.

I am having trouble finding a 315x70x17 (35 x 12.50 x 17) studdable snow tire that is E rated. Is the NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA LT3 my only option? Happy to go to any size but don't want to buy different wheels if possible.

Thank you!!

clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #2

Cooper Evolution MT has that size studdable. https://us.coopertire.com/tires/evolution-mt
Old 11-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #3

We live in Bend, Or. snow country and have had great luck with the BF Goodrich KO2’s they have the snow (peak insignia) rating. I run them year round on the SMB.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:54 PM   #4

The Nokian is probably the best all around snowy road tire. For deep unplowed or deep slushy snow, I prefer a studded M/T. Currently running the Les Schwab Backcountry tire with studs for my winter tire, and I’m impressed. I like it far more than the Toyo M/T and M55. And of course it’s infinitely better than the open country A/T for winter use ( I run it as a summer tire currently) It looks like they make it in your size.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:38 PM   #5

As mentioned in the other snow tire related post,I am running these Mastercraft Courser studded tires.
Work well for me,and do well in deeper snow.
Attached Thumbnails
27179740-83F0-46F6-B69A-4FD8FB42C127.jpg  
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #6

Garage
You can get Goodyear Duratracs with the three mountain thing that are stud-able. I am running some now without studs, and they have been acceptable in the snow so far (good for an all-season tire).

I have heard good things about the Nokians.

My van goes on adventures in the desert, with sharp rocks, and it takes me skiing with lots of snow and ice (really, the icy and snowpacked paved roads are the scariest for me). Its been hard to find a single set of tires for that, but the Duratracs have gotten the job done so far.
MTDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #7

Is it your daily? Get the Nokians. They invented the snow tire.

Otherwise I'd 2nd the duratrac option. I only ever spin a tire at slow speeds on pure ice.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #8

Another vote for Duratrac’s I once found myself at the bottom of a steep completely iced over Road in Alaska. Thought I was going to have to install chains to get back up, but the Dura tracks managed to pull me to the top. I was able to get a slight run at it at the bottom before the hill, and starting out in second gear with minimal throttle allowed me to get to up it. The only drawback I am aware of for the Dura tracks, is that they have notoriously weak side walls in the 33 inch variety. Over the years I’ve ripped holes in the sides of two different ones. Once on a sharp rock, and once on a protruding branch of a downed tree.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #9

I manage to do great with the Toyo Open Country C/T in CO winters with my 2wd and it does come in a 35X12.50R17LT.
https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-ct
Old 12-06-2020, 10:34 AM   #10

I live at 8100 feet with very steep roads in the woods outside Durango Colorado. I have run multiple sets of Cooper evolution studded winter tires and have a set on my snow plow right now. They are awesome in every way stick like glue, I can stop when everyone else is sliding. That is something you keep in mind, stopped for a light one day and got smacked from behind which crushed his little car against the trailer hitch on my Quigley.
bozwell13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow, snow tires