Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
As mentioned in the other snow tire related post,I am running these Mastercraft Courser studded tires.
Work well for me,and do well in deeper snow.
Aw man. Just looking at new, unworn snow tires makes me jealous. I told myself I wouldn't buy new tires until I wore out the stock issue. Now thanks to Covid I'm in my second winter with no place to go and All Weather tires that just need a gentle hand whenever the road is wet, let alone icy or snow covered. But I can everyone's recommendations to my to-do list. Thanks

Stewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #12

I live in MT and have to drive ice/snow roads regularly in winter. We do not salt or mag chloride our roads. Sometimes we get a little sand in the curves, but no one counts on that! I swear by the Duratracs. Running 35's on a 6" Ujoint lifted e350 and they perform exceptionally well. Have Duratracs on my F150, and had them on my previously owned Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Rubicon.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #13

I’m in AK and been very happy with studded Cooper Discoverer M and S if you can find them but unfortunately they are discontinuing them and their new Snow Claw looks like the lugs are closer spaced so would wait for some reviews. Evolution Winters are doing well on my SUV but don’t come in LT load ratings.,
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #14

I live in northern Ontario Canada.
I’ve run every possible brand of winter tire.
I don’t comment on here ever but thought I might have some useful info on this topic:
The 3 snowflake designation on at tires is a sales pitch. For a tire to be truly a “winter” tire - it’s going to have something that all the AT tires can’t have / softer rubber. This is needed in order for the tire to remain pliable below 5 degrees centigrade (I don’t know what that converts to in Fahrenheit). An AT tire can’t be constructed with soft rubber because they would fry off after a summer of driving.
It’s like trying to drive around all the time on competition grade rock crawler tires - they wear much too fast.

It’s true however that in DEEP snow- a mud terrain works better than a winter because they act like paddle tires in sand. But put that onto a road - and unless you can’t reach bottom - your far better off with a winter tire. Going around logging roads or across fields - an open lug MT will work well for you.
As soon as you hit clear road/packed snow, better slow down because you’ll be needing 4x4 for basic driving because they are horrendous in these conditions.

As for Nokian. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve run al the major brand of tires and Nokian IS the gold standard. You cannot do any better. I’m running them currently on all my winter drive vehicles. The Hak tire line are fantastic. You’ll be happy you go this route. They cost more but you get what you pay for.
enforcer.69@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #15

Awesome! Thanks everybody for the input.
clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #16

We just put Hercules Avalanche TT's on our rig and had them studded. We had BFG KO2's on for the summer but with Covid closing the day lodges at the ski hills we find ourselves taking the van on more day trips and wanted the security of a true winter. The BFG KO2's were ok but they're far from a winter tire and it's definitely noticeable in our 2wd van.

Like the poster above mentioned with the Cooper Snow Claw's, the Avalanche TT's are Hercules' new winter to replace the existing LT tire. (Cooper owns Hercules) At first, I wanted the bigger blocks to help clear deeper snow but when I actually got the tires I realized they were quite meaty as well and that the pictures didn't do the lugs justice. (Not KO2 blocky but good enough.) As a bonus the tighter lug spacing makes for an overall quieter tire. I've never run studs before and was concerned about the noise but at highway speeds the studded TT's are quieter than our KO2s.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow, snow tires