Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #1

Question Two-Way (CB?) Radio, Emergency Setup?

Hello SMB forum

I have a Ford E-250 2001 RB-50, and I am clueless about how to best ask this question.

Goal: I want to upgrade this van with:
  1. two-way communication with handheld units (distance short distance, 2-5 miles)
  2. two-way communication in off-road emergencies
  3. monitor emergency broadcasts
  4. antenna, mounted or magnetic

Recommendations?

FYI: I recently passed FCC Technician License; however, this requested goal has to be simple & accessible to my spouse & others who will not have the FCC Technician permissions to handle additional operational complexity.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Simplest is to go with a GMRS radio. Still requires a license, but there's no test just a fee.

Handheld lower power versions are FRS radios, more powerful vehicle mounted radios are GMRS.

I have a Ham radio on my Bronco, but it rarely gets used since not many people have licenses.

Herb
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:21 PM   #3

Yep can use frs but for emergency - can get a 2m or dual band and program in 2m 146.520 for national calling and local repeaters. Can show a couple people how to use for emergency if needed. As you know emergency use does not require a license.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #4

I am not a radio expert, but I keep one of these in the glovebox just in case. Aside from monitoring channels, I have never used it (in part because I've never traveled with another person or group using one).

I also carry a satellite communicator (Garmin inReach Mini) on our adventures. I figure that if SHTF, I'm much more likely to be able to reach someone or send an SOS with this than a radio.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:57 PM   #5

I am also a Ham operator. This is what have that works very well for me.
Install a mobile unit dual band 2m/70cm. this will give you the flexibility to communicate with other users on GMRS/FRS handheld off-the-shelf units. It will also give you the ability to hit local repeaters that require a Ham license and you can also broadcast on a much higher wattage.
I would recommend installing a 1/2 wave antenna. I mounted mine on the front hood (bracket mounts under the hood on the fender and pokes through the crack between the hood and fender. This gives me a permanent mobile base station with antenna that can communicate with other radios.
I also have a CB. This is not as effective in terms of range but in the woods (think logging trucks) and on the highway, there are many more users and it is much better for connecting with other random people for general info and can be better for emergencies. Feel free to send me a PM if you want details on my setup.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 05:57 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Handheld lower power versions are FRS radios, more powerful vehicle mounted radios are GMRS.
Herb
Recommendations for specific makes & models for GMRS?
Thank you
Old 10-13-2022, 06:00 PM   #7

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
Yep can use frs but for emergency - can get a 2m or dual band and program in 2m 146.520 for national calling and local repeaters. Can show a couple people how to use for emergency if needed. As you know emergency use does not require a license.
What about Two-way non-emergency usage recommendations?

Thank you
Old 10-13-2022, 06:02 PM   #8

Clarify

the "two-way communication with handheld units (distance short distance, 2-5 miles)"
is specifically for non-FCC-licensed users and not specifically for emergencies.

Thank you
Old 10-13-2022, 06:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff00seattle View Post
Recommendations for specific makes & models for GMRS?
Thank you
I have both a vehicle mounted (Micro Mobile), and handheld, radios from Midland.
Seem to be good quality, and you can buy units of different power depending on your range requirements.

https://midlandusa.com/

Herb
Old 10-13-2022, 07:57 PM   #10

Garage
I’m in the middle of the 4wheeler magazine overland trip. A gmrs was required and the sponsor Midland made it easy to get one. I got a 50watt chassis mounted unit as did many others. We are in a group of at least 27 rigs and the leader is narrating historical sites as we go. The radios are really good and we are spread out a couple miles in some cases. Midland is taking our category really seriously. I’d take a look at the mxt575 or mxt 500. Super easy install and very well made. My 2 cents as a new user.

Tags
antenna, antenna mount, emergency, radio