Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 12:48 AM   #11

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
John must have taken you off the short side - and too slow!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #12

You should ask Ramsey for a ride in his Van out in Gorman at Hungry Valley. I didn't ride with him, but I had my Dodge Ram 3500 out there with full suspension. We were taking turns hitting a section of whoops. I am not one to be showed up, but neither is Ramsey. I ran through them at about 30 mph thinking that he would go slower.....nope same speed. I then ran about 45, thinking OK he will be done there....nope. So then against better judgement I ran about 60-65.....bad move on my part, just had the wrong rythm, GPS went flying, all the ash tray change went everywhere, door pocket tools on the floor, etc. Fortunately Ramsey was bored with the whoops we will say (just smarter than me and dirt as his logo goes ). That day I was completly impressed by his van and suspension. My wife however is scared to let me do the Agile conversion on our 2WD van as she is afraid how I will drive it. Do yourself a favor and ride in both on and off road, driving it as you plan and going a little faster than planned. I was all set on a U-Joint setup, they are great, but the Agile setup is so smooth and surefooted you won't believe your in a van.
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to illking
I posted this thread a while ago just to get opinions, it might help you out if you havent searched the forms on this http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...int-16103.html

The best advice came from both Agile and Ujoint... Test ride both and decide whats best for you. Ive now ridden as a passenger on road in both systems and they are very different. Im still in saving mode but getting very close to pulling the trigger. Just make sure you are realistic about where and how you will drive your van, and get in some test rides if you have the opportunity. Its a big investment.
illking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #14

Just curious why you say this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
For snow you really want modern AWD, at least if you're going to regularly spend hours in it. The van will work, but it adds hours to long drives in the snow.
I have driven very long drives in the snow to and from and in So. BC and seemed great to me with open lug studded snow tires.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #15

I saw that and kinda wondered the same thing E350. I drove back to Bend, Or from Jackson, Wy on mostly a sheet of ice and snow last thanksgiving and felt great about it. Had no issues. In fact I seemed to be much more stable going down the road than a lot of the lighter AWD vehicles (Subies etc). I will say you'd better know what you're doing as there aren't as many electronic nannies to save you if you don't, but if you're used to it the weight and very analogue feel of my Quigley serves me well.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
For snow you really want modern AWD, at least if you're going to regularly spend hours in it. The van will work, but it adds hours to long drives in the snow.
Problem I see with AWD is CV joints... I've messed too many of them up and I don't trust them anymore. A work friend has a GMC Savanna that he's converting and I hear about the problems.

The 4x Sprinters and Transits are too cookie cutter for me and the pics I've seen of the suspension looks like I would break it. The only way I would do a Sprinter is down the road when the minimum on the unit isn't $55g for the chassis and there is a factory warranty, other than that I'm not interested.
StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
That unicorn is on the east coast, aren't you concerned with rust? Sounds like you're from BC as well? Why not buy locally then, it'd be cheaper wouldn't it? I just drove from BC to Agile's shop to get mine converted. I'll be back in August if you care for a test drive.

BTW, I was just about ready to install a UJOR on mine, had built the axle and found all the parts needed aside from the actual kit. Then I drove one last year and it wasn't what I expected. Way too tall and not the best ride either. I know Chris at UJOR has quite the following and is really good with customer's service but at the end I sold my axle and all the parts.

Got the chance to test drive one of Agile's conversion and you really can't compare. A bit hard to explain but smooth and firm comes to mind, bit of an oxymoron isn't it but it works! I really don't regret my choice to go with them at the end.

But either way it will be better than stock

Cheers
David

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
I'm in Seattle... I travel N a lot to play... Mtn biking, climbing, splitboarding etc. .. You can't seem to find what I'm looking for closer to home. Too many Techies with $$$ and 24/7 internet connectivity ... SMB's or home builds usually sell in about 3 days here.
StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #18

If you're interested in a more local alternative, I have the ability to convert E-series vans to 4x4 using my custom brackets and '05+ Super Duty truck axles.... Located about 20 mins SW of Portland.

Here's my van on 35" Toyos
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
If you're interested in a more local alternative, I have the ability to convert E-series vans to 4x4 using my custom brackets and '05+ Super Duty truck axles.... Located about 20 mins SW of Portland.

Here's my van on 35" Toyos

That's the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #20

OK Agile. The thought has crossed my mind about doing the TTB onto a current 2009 E30 from SMB. Diesel engine, if that makes any difference. My email is cbbob@me.com