Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #51

I know Agile offers test drives.. not sure if other converters do the same, but it's worth asking!

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #52

I ended up going with an Agile conversion but considered the Ujoint coversion pretty hard. I also live in PDX and at the time Chris could not provide the name of a local Portland shop that had installed one of his kits and it was not something I wanted to undertake myself.

For the sake of clarity on this thread, I think it might be benefial for Expeditionnw to mention who did his install. Was it a DIY conversion, local shop or was it done at the Ujoint shop?
Old 07-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee View Post
...For the sake of clarity on this thread, I think it might be benefial for Expeditionnw to mention who did his install. Was it a DIY conversion, local shop or was it done at the Ujoint shop?
Good point. Variables in installation certainly can make a huge difference in the outcome of any installation effort. Not to mention the initial condition of the van could also be a major factor (bone stock, age, miles, any prior modifications,...).

Herb
Old 07-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #54

Absolutely. The install was done by myself. I work in the industry as an owner/operator of a 4x4 shop. We are primarily a custom fabrication, but also do quite a bit of wrenching ie. parts installations, diesel conversions, custom suspension work.

I am capable of converting a van. I had begun designing my own OE coil sprung suspension setup using 2005-current superduty radius arms.

I wasnt keen on the leaf sprung design because of the ride quality. We wer e planning on having the van on the road in time for a 2 week trip this spring, and I knew my system wouldnt have the kinks worked out by then.

I ultimately chose to use chris's kit because Id heard so many great reviews. I also knew I could have the van on the road by our deadline, and with a kit that was dialed.

I told Chris this when I placed the order. needless to say, the van wasnt ready in time for the trip due to leaf spring delay.

Once the parts were all in one place, the van was fully converted and back on the road inside of 6 days.rebuilt 4r100 trans and 273 Tcase, D60 front, sterling 10.5 rear, ARBS and 4.56 on both ends.

The van is a one owner 1999 7.3 cargo RB with 125k original miles. possibly the cleanest van I have ever seen. Very deserving of a 4x4 swap.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #55

Garage
ExpeditionNW - You should come to the PDX meet and greet on Sunday and we could maybe solve this brake line issue.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
ExpeditionNW - You should come to the PDX meet and greet on Sunday and we could maybe solve this brake line issue.
It sounds like a great time! Unfortunatly I need to be in gladstone between 12-2pm.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #57

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
It sounds like a great time! Unfortunatly I need to be in gladstone between 12-2pm.

Bummer! Well I doubt it will be the last.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaBallard View Post
So how does a person do this when they don't know anyone w/a lifted 4x4 van?
Re Test Drives: get on a plane if you have to, round trip same day. Dropping from $6k plus a bunch of time to $15k absolutely warrants $300 investment in a trip, if no one is close.

If close to the west coast, San Diego is really nice!!! maybe the only trip you need to make
Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #59

Anybody know if Advanced 4x4 is any good? Apparently there is a E350 7.3 Advanced 4x that a friend of a friend has sitting at their cabin and they want to show it to me. And it's local.
StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #60

Garage
Straightouttaballard - I think it all depends on when the conversion was done and how much documentation or records the individual has. My conversion has been a real pain in the butt but others like theirs. I really do think it's on a case by case basis.