Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Insulation and sound deadener are a bit different. I am not a diesel owner but I have worked on a friend's SMB and the difference before and after Quietride installation was very noticeable.

I've heard nothing but good about Hein's insulation products for insulation but quietening a diesel beast is a little bit of a different project.

https://www.quietride.com/
Yeah, wondering if he doesn’t have direct experience with it and assumed it would do more than it does. I may drop another 600 or 700 on quiet ride but hesitant to do so.

Surfvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfvan View Post
I researched and was told that “Hein was the man” when it came to insulation. I got so overwhelmed by all of the different ideas and options on various forums, blogs and you tube channels that once I spoke to him I just trusted what he suggested. He told me that thinsulate was an outstanding sound deadening material. I live in CA, temperature and climate are a minor minor concern. My real concern was noise. I told him other products I was considering quiet ride and dynamat and he said thinsulate would be better.
That's fair, there is so much information out there and I myself am about to start my insulation and sound deadening as well. For my it's mostly about insulation, but sound deadedning would be nice.

Take it with a grain of salt but I did research on car audio forums where a lot of the members consider themselves "audiophiles". I personally am not but I would prefer not to speak loudly to my spouse when driving.

Thanks for sharing your experience though.

Do you think you will re-do it or just stick with what you already have?
Old 05-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #13

I've found Thinsulate to be pretty amazingly good in doors, side panels and the roof to cut down on road noise. A big diesel (especially a Ford diesel) sitting right next to your knee needs a bit different approach IMO.

In the SEMA build, we were fortunate enough to be sponsored by Dynamat so we had boxes of product to throw at the van. We did DynaMat up front, every square inch we could cover then DynaPad over the top, then carpet. The underside of the doghouse was covered with DynaLiner under the factory foil liner. The rear of the van was covered thoroughly with DynaMat. When I started up the van (a V10) for the first time after the interior was in, I actually had to look at the tach to see if it was running. It was dead silent inside.

I took pretty much the same approach with the Cummins van except I used comparable products from Cascade Audio Engineering (zeronoise.com). In addition to that, I also sprayed the floor and firewall with Lizard Skin (both thermal and sound products) while the body was off the frame. It is pretty quiet. Not SEMA V10 van quiet but still pretty good for a 6.7L diesel sitting 6" from your knee.

Ford diesels are loud and RIGHT THERE in the cabin with you. You can probably get a bit better with more layers of the right products but you'll always have a Ford diesel sitting RIGHT THERE in the cabin with you.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post

Do you think you will re-do it or just stick with what you already have?
I’ll leave the back the way it is but I’m definitely going to re-do the front.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #15

Hi -

Check out a product known as MLV. Mass Loaded Vinyl. It weighs about a pound per square foot. A layer of vinyl backed by a layer of foam. I used it in my vintage motorhome with good results. Available at most soundproofing shops...

Good luck !

Steve W
Southern California
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Hi -

Check out a product known as MLV. Mass Loaded Vinyl. It weighs about a pound per square foot. A layer of vinyl backed by a layer of foam. I used it in my vintage motorhome with good results. Available at most soundproofing shops...

Good luck !

Steve W
Southern California
I was just about to pull the trigger on that stuff. I was thinking of doing the dog house first and seeing if it cuts the noise enough. I was planning on doing adhesive backed dynamat on the inside of the dog house with MLV over that. I want to figure out a way to secure the MLV while leaving it loose. From what I read, it performs far better if it’s loose (think of a hanging sheet) and not completely flat to a structure. Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #17

I tend to agree it's likely something to do with the engine cover not sitting 100% right. While my 1992 IDI (non-turbo) diesel isn't quiet (no older diesel is), the engine noise is tolerable at highway speeds.

Try to hang a couple of shop lights on each side of the engine (when it's cold) and then close the cover. Then when it's dark, look for any light peeking through into the interior.

Oddly enough, this is my life as my old Triumph cars have a similar cover over the transmission and any gaps let a ton of noise and heat in.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #18

Correct.

“Loose” like a hanging curtain is one of the functional properties of the material. Imagine throwing a ball against a wall - it bounces back. Sound waves do the same. Now imagine throwing a ball against a hanging heavy curtain - the ball ain’t gonna bounce back to you.

The foam backing on the vinyl provides some of this looseness. It separates the vinyl from the hard surface.

Where I had large surfaces to cover - I used blobs of adhesive 10” or so apart on fhe foam side. The guy I bought mine from (San Marcos, CA) recommended Titebond Heavy Duty. Worked just fine for me.
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Correct.

“Loose” like a hanging curtain is one of the functional properties of the material. Imagine throwing a ball against a wall - it bounces back. Sound waves do the same. Now imagine throwing a ball against a hanging heavy curtain - the ball ain’t gonna bounce back to you.

The foam backing on the vinyl provides some of this looseness. It separates the vinyl from the hard surface.

Where I had large surfaces to cover - I used blobs of adhesive 10” or so apart on fhe foam side. The guy I bought mine from (San Marcos, CA) recommended Titebond Heavy Duty. Worked just fine for me.
Are there any issues with heat or fire with MLV and dynamat in the doghouse?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #20

X2 on QuietRide for the dog house. Made a big diff in my 03 7.3

Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote