Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #1

Upper Bed with the Fixed Tops

newbie here. love the forum, and I've been through most of the topics. I'm looking at an SMB as a full time home. I'm never home because of constant work travel, no longer married, but I've got 2 big dogs (that keep getting thrown into boarding or left with friends), and zero attachment to anything in my home (and an incurable wanderlust). The dogs would be fine sleeping in the aisle. Going solo (full time) means that I'm looking at more storage, more features, but less bed and seating. Even a gaucho seems like a terrible waste of space (for me). I'm not sure about the upper beds though. I'm 5' 10", average build. I do like the voyager tops (a raised PH is not stealthy in urban areas). Can someone post pics of the upper beds in action with the Voyager and Cruiser?

(not too much action! I'm on my work computer.)

I'm also trying to find the bed dimensions when using all panels... and if there is difference in upper bed sizes between the Voyager and the Cruiser tops. Thoughts?

vandweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Upper Bed with the Fixed Tops

I'm sure your dogs would make sure your gaucho receives lots of use.

Full-timer with 2 big dogs? I'd consider a 2wd Sprinter conversion. Sprinters are becoming more commonplace, so while not stealthy, they can blend in fairly well, and give you much more interior and storage room than a Ford/Chevy based conversion.

Herb
Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #3

I should have mentioned that this vehicle will be going off road on the weekends and when I'm not on contract. -mostly beach (surfing and fishing), but there are some places I go that only a 4wd can get to.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Team

SMBw has their prototype Sprinter 4x4 for sale in the used section of ther website. A one-of-a-kind, using all Mercedes parts. Hardly inexpensive, but neither are most SMBs.

Herb
Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #5

I've got a voyager top with a bed up top. I dont have any pictures of the inside but can get some if you need. My upper bed is on 58" long with all three panels put in. You could add one additional panel but it may be tight. So I would concider it for kids only.
kre7277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #6

I took a look through the Sprinter plans again. sand is my main requirement, so this might work after all. I think my goal is to max out galley, bath, and storage, but minimize seating. Cost is really not an issue, since I'll be selling pretty much everything else I own.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #7

My vote is for the Cruiser top
Tons of space
Tons of storage
using 18" cabinets maximizes the floor space

I am pretty sure that the Cruiser will be roomier up top
than a Voyager

Will try to get some pics to post

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #8

Thanks Bill. Looking forward to it. I've been reading about the Sprinter tonight. It looks like an awesome machine. Here's my problem- I'm a crusty old I.T. guy and I despise the bleeding edge. It burns me every time. The Sprinters look like they are a very reliable vehicle, but the 4WD stuff is new. That and the fact that there doesn't seem to be that many in the U.S. has me concerned. I tend to run with the pack in all decisions about tech- it just keeps things easy.... and when I do have a problem, I can post to a forum somebody actually answers!

So at least for today, I'm back to a Ford!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:20 AM   #9

The 4WD stuff on the Sprinter is available for a while now in Europa and has been tested by mercedes and daily use.

The independent wheel system is not as strong as a solid axle (ford) but strong enough for offroading as long you dont go into extreme...

The negative part is that if you break a part, it will not be available locally but being mercedes parts, they are always available from the factory and also over time. May just need more time to receive.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #10

What about Side Wind issues? I understood that the Springers are more acceptable to the side winds. Any Cruiser tops having this issue?
Woot
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote