Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #1

Used Penthouse Cost

Hi all,

I am looking to remove my penthouse top and install a fixed top. My question: what would be an appropriate list price to sell my PH top (good condition, non-electric)?
Thanks in advance,
-Chris

chrisbaffico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Sold ours close to 7 years ago for around $2500 if I recall correctly. Good condition, manual lift. There are others that have sold theirs more recently to get a better idea.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
A2Z

I have a friend that is looking for one, PM sent.
A2Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #4

Why are you converting tops?
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #5

Usually around $2K-$2500 for manual top without issues and good canvas/windows.

Bought my early 2000's manual RB top for $2K..I had to remove.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:20 PM   #6

Lilnuts2 -The simple reason I want to switch to a fixed top (Fiberine Super Camper top) is that I need more storage. The Van Life movement has skyrocketed values and sales, great if you are selling. I’m afraid that even if sold mine for a pretty penny, that I’d end up having to spend much more than I want to for a new rig. That’s the power of “Already Paid For”. Not to mention, I know myself well and an Earth Roamer is on my list, just not my budget. I’ve considered a Sprinter with diesel and 4x4, but I’ve seen major suspension failure on Sprinters in Mexico due to the rugged trails and roads. I love my 1 ton 7.3 Turbo diesel with Agile Offroad 4WD. I’ve looked at truck pop-top campers and over-cab campers and I think an EB van has more space and is more versatile. Since I can’t park my van in my community or in a garage, height/vehicle size isn’t much of an issue. I guess drive thru’s would be off limits, not a great match during Covid. Overhead cabinets would seem to add the storage I need inside and a rack will add what I need outside. I’m tired of driving 14 hours and having to unload 6 surfboards off the penthouse roof before I can pop it up for the night. I must be getting old, I have pulled more than one muscle putting up the top by myself. Feedback would be great from those who have made the switch.
Agile Offroad 4x4
chrisbaffico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:48 PM   #7

Chrisbaffico- I completely understand. I thought I wanted a penthouse, they look so cool. (let's face it super camper tops are not sexy). Then I talked to a good van buddy that has had a few of both penthouse and raised roof vans. After talking to him (and others like you) I realized a super camper top would work better for me. I just wanted to hear your reasons,
Thank you for the reply.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #8

Check out the classifieds section for past sold tops for prices. There have been quite a few listed the past year or so.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #9

Hey Chris I can definitely relate! I went down this exact path and ended up not pulling the trigger on the fixed top (yet), or the Earth Roamer/Earth Cruiser . I think one last thing to consider is if you ever do want to sell the van, the penthouse top will usually fetch a higher price (I think the general consensus as about $5-10k more). That being said, I am in your camp and definitely my dream setup is the same as the guy named Claus on here (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...hitt-5678.html). I think that setup is the absolute dream!

As a band-aid ($1500) I went with an aluminess surf pole and ladder with (4) hooks. It will allow you to carry (2) boards securely (80mph) on the side of the van. Just had to thin the quiver and I was happy to be able to use the penthouse without the surfboard on/off the roof chore (which is the absolute worst van chore possible). I bet you could get more than 2 boards on there too.

I usually carry a Chris Christenson C-Bucket that is 7'0 for the juice and then a CJ Nelson Music for groveling and good waves that do no fall into the juice category.
clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #10

If you don't need the extra bed, the fixed top is the way to go in my opinion. You always have the head room and as you said, you can add cabinets for more storage. Theres less set up and less mechanical things to go wrong.