Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

Used SMB value?

When buying a used car, it's easy to get an idea of fair value based on the Kelly Blue Book and NADA.

How do you determine a fair value for used Sportsmobile? I see some values on NADA online. However, the online options don't seem to be appropriate for an SMB -- (no 4X4 option etc). Also, the prices don't correlate to the prices of Sportsmobiles sold on the SMB website.

yogiyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #2

Re: Used SMB value?

my advice is to become familiar with previous sold vehicles on this site and others.
I have found that Nada and others are simply ball park estimates at best.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #3

Garage

SMB's are highly specialized with lots if different configurations, options and extras. No two are alike. Decide how much you want to spend, which options are must haves and then start looking. They are difficult to finance so the best deals are going to be found with cash in hand. Don't let an emotional decision be dictated by logic...
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #4

Nada is horrible disinformation on Sportsmobiles. Clearly that was obvious to you already, but doesn't hurt to iterate.

Traditionally the 2wd Ford models drop off in price at a much steeper rate than 4x4 conversions. At some point if what you really want is an older 4x4 Ford you'll run into a time vs. money dilemma, looking at a cherry 2wd and time to convert to 4x4.

Speaking of 2wd, I don't think the Sprinters have been around long enough to see the serious price drop with age, but I don't watch them too closely.

The value, the real value, for me anyway was that when I bought mine I was ready to camp right then. That and a warranty on my 6.0L were enough to tip me in favor of buying our van- of course the gobs of money and time I've put into it since then... honestly I wouldn't have it any other way, but I also don't think I could possibly sell it now either.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #5

Here are the main factors to consider on prices. There are a lot of smaller options but these are the biggies:

- 2WD vs Quigley 4x4 vs SMB 4x4 vs etc
- SMB interior build out (vs bare cargo or club wagon)
- Penthouse top (none vs manual vs electric)
- engine (V8 vs V10 vs diesel)
- more expensive options e.g. Aluminess bumpers F&R

I am not sure interior layout plan affects resale, although it may impact how long it takes to find the van you want.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Speaking of 2wd, I don't think the Sprinters have been around long enough to see the serious price drop with age, but I don't watch them too closely.
Sprinters in general seem to hold their value pretty well (talking about standard Sprinters, not SMB Sprinters). I wonder if this will change once Ford comes out with the new Transit at a lower price point than a Sprinter. The Sprinter has pretty much been the only game in town if you wanted that type of van, and the resale values seem to bear that out.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I don't think FORD has any effect on the resale price of any Mercedes.

I have been trying to buy a '07 to '09 Sprinter for awhile and they are not cheap, even with very high miles. You can get some good deals on a new one though. 2014 will have a new base engine and a face lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Sprinters in general seem to hold their value pretty well (talking about standard Sprinters, not SMB Sprinters). I wonder if this will change once Ford comes out with the new Transit at a lower price point than a Sprinter. The Sprinter has pretty much been the only game in town if you wanted that type of van, and the resale values seem to bear that out.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
I don't think FORD has any effect on the resale price of any Mercedes.
I'm not sure the average buyer covets a Sprinter because it's a Mercedes, but rather for the unique form factor (high roof, cargo capacity, etc.), diesel engine, fuel economy, and handling. My point is that the Sprinter has pretty much been the only game in town for this combo of features. Plenty of them were sold under Dodge and Freightliner badges before they put the fancy Mercedes logo on it.

When the Transit (and new Dodge/Fiat van, to a lesser degree) rolls out, there will now be a cheaper alternative, which will likely drive down used Sprinter prices IMO. Maybe not; I guess we'll see.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

Thank you. Besides this forum and the SMB website, where else might I find used SMB sale prices?
yogiyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Used SMB value?

Craigslist and eBay
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote