Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #21

Re: Van heating options?

He current building code in most states require a CO detector in new homes. Many states also require one to be in a home before it is sold.

I have a battery powered one in the van.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanduytG
Espar D2 with high altitude kit will work great.

Greg
There is a gas version option for US consumers now Greg?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop
What about Wave heaters? Anyone used these? They look like a good heater with no fan noise.
After doing tons of research, we went with the Wave 3 and have been very happy with it for cold weather camping. We use it to warm up the interior while awake, windows cracked of course. Example: Outside was 24, inside was 60+. Takes about 10 mins or so to bring temps to omfortable, then switch to low setting. Place it where we want. We turn it off before going to sleep as we have a comforter to keep us plenty warm. We have a non poptop 2003 E350 extended Club, all windows . Storage of the W3 is easy, we keep it well covered and clean when not in use. It sips propane. For us, Wave 6 would have been too much. With heat loss of a PT, maybe the W6 would be necessary, or if it is usually sub zero outside. I have not used ours yet above 8,000 ft, but I believe it is good to 10k if I recall correctly. Please do your own checking on this.

Our van is transformer in set-up. Insulation in walls behind stock plastic panels, reflective material facing out glued to stiff cardboard (thermoply) are used for window coverings. Floor is stock carpeting. Issues to be aware of are the moisture build up in colder weather, which we get regardless of heater, but seems to be a bit more with heater, and keeping the element clean. Re: moisture - I just do a wipe down of exposed metal surfaces in the morning. Another great benefit is I am not hauling a heater when summer camping.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #24

Their has always been a gas version, its the B1LCc for the D2 size. However I don't think a high altitude kits is available for it. The D4 is also available is gas and its the B4, not sure but I believe the high altitude kit will work on it.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #25

If one has propane, a Platinum Cat from ventedcatheater.com might be an idea. It would require a hole put into the exterior, but this would be a decent way to get heat and have the combustion gases go elsewhere. I have read good things about this setup, but I've not used it.

The RV furnace is the safest way -- gases get sucked in from the outside, and exhausted from there. The air inside doesn't get any more humid.

The second safest would be a Plat Cat.

Of course, Buddy heaters are very efficient -- they don't have any waste heat. However, they have three rules that must be followed:

1: They use up oxygen, and if oxygen gets too low, the burning process starts having more CO as a byproduct. You need ventilation as per the owner's manual. It also goes without saying to have at least two combination CO/fire detectors.

2: They put a lot of water in the air. Again, ventilation.

3: They are hot, so they need to be located in a place where nothing can touch it and catch fire. Again, make sure to have two fire/CO detectors.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote