Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Why not just get a Ravelco?

Currently about $600 installed - depends on your local installer

one review here:

Theft-proof your vehicle—really — Exploring Overland

Based on what I have read, Ravelco is indeed the best choice if you want to prevent someone driving away your vehicle (I do not have Ravelco (yet)). Some of the other things discussed in this thread are about something different; how to make it more difficult for someone to steal your stuff from inside the vehicle. This is where dead bolts and jimmy jammers etc. have a function.

Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:11 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Along with my electric dead bolts and aftermarket alarm I'll be adding a Ravelco too---actually have one in hand waiting to be installed. I found it brand new in an unopened box through eBay---like $65 shipped.

There's not a single bit of instructional information in the box which isn't an issue. It does have 5 wires totally black and unlabeled--no doubt to further obscure its function and attachment. There are two wires with small bits of white tape I'm assuming ID them as a pair. That's easily enough verified with a VOM.

Overall this couldn't be more basic and simple---its claim to fame must be its stealthy nature along with no easy way to quickly defeat it.

I have another thread here about a DIY Ravelco where I'll post a few photos of the device as delivered---installation will have to wait a bit, finding time to do this will be the biggest challenge.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
Seems excessively complicated. Just get a trunk monkey

https://youtu.be/Rx6WB5YJia8

Dude, you are one sick (but very funny) puppy.
Stewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #24

Not sure why you cannot find this.. MY Van does all of that except the Txt part.. instead it has a pager I can carry and it will alert me in the conditions you have outlined. Also has a Panic Button in the Van that alerts the pager to.

Also FYI I spent many many years working as a Motion Picture Grip, I have locked up many millions of $ in Equipment in my Van.. and thus why I have the alarm you are looking for.. one more thing to add is a GPS Tracker..

Look up Real Alarms most of them have all the features you desire.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #25

If you haven't seen this YouTube video: "How to get into a Locked Ford Econoline Without Keys - Skit by Airi The Car Girl"
it is well worth watching if you are a Ford E350 van owner. This helpful young lady gives a demonstration of the easiest way to break into a Ford van "if you lock your keys inside or just want to steal something." I heartily endorse the Auto-Bolt system, even though I also have a Viper auto alarm. There are several ways that the Auto-Bolt system can be installed and I did it myself because I wanted to operate totally separately from the Ford auto-lock door system and my alarm system. It is not difficult to install, but it is a full day job (at least the first time) and involves carefully drilling some holes in you doors and jams. For a "separate" installation like I did, you also have to run wires behind interior panels. Has anybody out there found a "useful" solution to the Ford E350 plastic "license plate access panel" issue shown in the video? I have the Aluminess rear bumper swing out box and spare tire carrier which helps to prevent access to the stupid plastic license plate holder, but I don't always lock the swing arms together. The Auto-Bolt is protecting the rear doors of course, but I have been looking for a "waterproof locking box or handgun safe" that would fit and fill the license plate holder recess. My plan being to bolt the box through the license plate holder to the interior door framing thus making it impervious to easy access, while at the same time providing a "quick access safe" on the outside of the vehicle,.. any ideas?
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
AKSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #26

Arduinos should be lower power than Pis if that is a factor for battery operation. You might look at Feather Arduino boards from Adafruit, what is nice is that they have several different versions, some with wifi/celluar/gps.

But, one thing i have been thinking about that i saw on another van that was on my block was motion sensing lights. Seems like a great idea since they turn on on the outside and give them a moment to question whether to move along. Would be a good hack to wire your alarm system into those. Starlights was one maker, there are others.
vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #27

Garage
I think this should make the list:

https://youtu.be/watKJpSMS6s
Old 08-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #28

E-350 License plate holder safe mount

Ha VanDiesel, I like the 1000v shocker, but not being an electrician I ended up with a more "physical" solution. I found a small metal safe that would fit the spot, pulled off the inside trim panel and did a very solid bolt-thru mounting. This effectively blocks that plastic license plate holder vulnerability and provided a spot for a little "backup". The area is also protected by my Aluminess bumper swing-out box and swing out spare tire mount (if I have them locked together).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	34795

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1321.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	34796
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
AKSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSeeker View Post
Ha VanDiesel, I like the 1000v shocker, but not being an electrician I ended up with a more "physical" solution. I found a small metal safe that would fit the spot, pulled off the inside trim panel and did a very solid bolt-thru mounting. This effectively blocks that plastic license plate holder vulnerability and provided a spot for a little "backup". The area is also protected by my Aluminess bumper swing-out box and swing out spare tire mount (if I have them locked together).

Attachment 34795

Attachment 34796

That is sweet. You have a lot to get through to get the gun while the bear or tweaker is coming at you. I picture a movie scene.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #30

[QUOTE=AKSeeker;278419]Ha VanDiesel, I like the 1000v shocker, but not being an electrician I ended up with a more "physical" solution. I found a small metal safe that would fit the spot, pulled off the inside trim panel and did a very solid bolt-thru mounting. This effectively blocks that plastic license plate holder vulnerability and provided a spot for a little "backup". The area is also protected by my Aluminess bumper swing-out box and swing out spare tire mount (if I have them locked together).

Great idea and nice work. With regard to locking the Aluminess swing arms together, it is pretty near impossible to insert a padlock in both through-holes to secure them. My solution was to find drill rod of the right diameter, cut it to length, and insert it into the aligned through-holes. Hairpin cotters through the rod act as vertical stops. At the bottom end of the pin is a cross drilled hole for a small padlock, which keeps the pin from being extracted.

Even without the padlock, I find the pin to be an extra level of comfort, in case the storage box swing arm is not fully latched closed. I once drove off without latching and had the storage box swing wide right and smash into the upper bumper rail, putting a nice dent in the unblemished up till then side of the box. It's good discipline for me to always have that pin engaged.
Attached Thumbnails
P8022519.jpg  
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote