Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2022, 12:41 PM   #1

Question Walmart Camping

Once upon a time I believed that "Walmart Supercenter" meant a 24 open store, and we have slept overnight at very many of them. On our last two trips there were many Supercenters that closed at 11 pm. Does that mean they are not safe for overnight sleeping? How can one tell which supercenters are 24 hour and which are not? Especially before arriving at a new town.

dave0718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 12:57 PM   #2

The "Open 24 hours" changed with Covid19. Nearest Walmart to me opens at 6am and closes at 11 pm also. The parking lot is always full of "campers" - even 18 wheelers. I've not heard of any problems but no doubt that depends on location.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
The "Open 24 hours" changed with Covid19.
The "pandemic" has been used as a convenient excuse to cut back and do less by many organizations and businesses - a rare opportunity that many have grabbed while it's available.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0718 View Post
...Does that mean they are not safe for overnight sleeping?
When you say "safe" I'm assuming you mean "is it OK?". Any boondocking is a bit of a gamble no matter where.
Like most, occasionally we've found ourselves between destinations and too tired to continue. We've picked spots which the Van would be less conspicuous - Auto repair lots, Tire businesses, even the front lots at Dealerships... People just think your vehicle is there due to a mechanical reason (We just make it a point not to attract attention by having interior lights on).

Most businesses open 24hrs don't have a lot of foot traffic overnight to begin with, consequently we've had 100% success simply approaching the person in-charge for permission to stay on their lot until daybreak (Pancake houses, convenience stores, 24hr Service stations, etc).... Encouragingly never been turned down using this approach (probably used this method 50-60+ times over the years). Only had one "overnight manager" impose an expectation at an iHop in Key West, she laughingly insisted we come inside for breakfast before we left (left her a gracious tip).
Have found MOST people are understanding & compassionate if you're up front with them, they appreciate the honesty and are willing/happy to be of help.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:41 AM   #5

I have seen lately Cracker Barrel is welcoming overnight campers
jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #6

Safeway stores - most are 24 hr

Pretty much all Walmarts are 6 am to 11 pm nowadays, their excuse is COVID but that long has been under control. I travel from CA to FL this January and those Walmart hours are the same everywhere. In CA & NV there are a few Safeway stores and they maintain their 24 hr schedule with full sales or just bathroom access; most times the employees are busy stocking and you have to ring a bell for them to come up to the cashier machine and if you just go in and use the potty they could care less.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #7

24 hour Walmarts are the worst to camp in. Even the late night ones are terrible. The noise is awful and I always felt like the meth heads were going to "accidentally" try to get in the van. With catalytic converter thefts up so badly it's another reason to skip those Walmarts. Even the bright lights don't deter the low life's in those parking lots.

I'd rather pay for an overpriced campground or better yet poach a private parking lot and hit the road before they open in the morning

Btw the lack of 24 hour places isn't due to Covid, it is due to the workforce walking away from being underpaid and overworked during the pandemic. Let alone if you have to deal with awful customers with entitlement issues.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0718 View Post
Once upon a time I believed that "Walmart Supercenter" meant a 24 open store, and we have slept overnight at very many of them. On our last two trips there were many Supercenters that closed at 11 pm. Does that mean they are not safe for overnight sleeping? How can one tell which supercenters are 24 hour and which are not? Especially before arriving at a new town.
You need to check with Local PD about this.. I have known a few that have been cited , And towed for Camping at a Parking lot like this after they checked with store management. The issue is the Local Laws not the Store. Many location have Anti Camping laws and they apply even in locations such as this.. The only way to be sure you will not get a knock on your door while sleeping is to ask the Local PD
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #9

Camping at Walmarts started to change prior to the pandemic. I follow a few vanlifers and fulltime RVers and they were seeing this prior to 2020. Some of it is local laws. Some of it was also abuse of the privilege - people leaving bottles of pee in the lot, for example. As is often the case, a few bad apples spoiling it for everyone.

Some Cracker Barrels allow overnight parking. Many don't. Here in the Mid-Atlantic region, I don't know if any do.

My thought is this is a good case for the "boring white van" which you can often park in an industrial park and go un-noticed. At least for a quick overnight break for sleeping.

This is probably something you'll need some of the various overlanding apps for. Probably all of them to cross-check.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:55 PM   #10

I had heard about overnighting at Cabela's stores and on a recent trip tried two in Kentucky, one in Lexington and one in Louisville. Those stores close at 9pm. I inquired at a local one--not on that camping app where I found the others--and the staff person said they permit it, so I guess you need to ask around. I would not presume they all permit it.

Have not tried Walmart or Cracker Barrel, or any other urban boondocking yet.