Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #11

I have the same layout, but in a RB format. I would not block the doorway as it will make getting in and out crowded, My gaucho is 6ft long but they are narrow and can be tight when sleeping two. Also the fridge makes alot of noise and vibration, if i could do it over again id move it to the other side so it doesnt vibrate near my head when i sleep! Prewire for solar, i love mine.

Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #12

Dave,
If you're going to be moving furniture etc., the gaucho design you're thinking of might be best (if the kids can ride there) since you'll have a long galley space that can be loaded from the back or the side doors. You'll also be able to get to anything from inside with the doors closed. I have an EB50, it's what I wanted and I really appreciate the acreage in the middle, but it's a drag to have to open the back to access what's stored behind the bench seat/bed.
Are you thinking of a bike rack or just keeping the bikes in the open area in the back?
You know, you'll wind up loving whatever you get. But one reason to consider buying used, is you have a chance (and some money left) to tailor your vehicle based on your actual experience, not your imaginings. This could be wise for someone who hasn't camped as an adult. Once you get everything perfect, in a dozen or so years when the kids don't want to hang with Dad, go crazy and buy new.
What does your lady from Oregon think?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Thanks again for the comments. I'll respond to each of you below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer
Why all the fuss with customization? Everyone knows that the Sportsmobile RB-50 is nature's perfect camping vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philrod
Right On, lowracer! Silver '07 E350 V10 RB50
Well guys, I have to disagree w/ you. I'm sure it's perfect for you, otherwise why'd you buy it, right?! LOL. While I do like a few "parts" of that design (kitchen behind the driver's seat, door cabinet), I do NOT like the bed size or location or operation, and I don't like the "limited" under-the-bed storage. For me and my purposes for the van, I just need something that SMB hasn't pre-designed for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
Dave in Delaware, there is a used one on the Sportsmobile website that is very similar to what you are looking to outfit.... Being so low on list, they might be willing to negotiate. oclv
Thanks for looking out for me oclv, but I'm not ready to purchase a SMB quite yet. I'm working on the paperwork to sell my house, which I need to do first so my finances can "support" an RV! I think I did notice that one for sale though. I check the smb website every now and then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
You are about to spend $75k to $100k and you won't rent a van for $800 to see if you like it! Penny wise and pound foolish!
I understand what you mean, but $800 isn't even one month's mortgage payment! Plus, I have been inside a SMB, and know exactly how they "feel" and how spacious the PH tops are, etc. I had gotten the name of a local owner and went to check out her SMB one Saturday. She was very helpful and let us sit everywhere, lay down, "tinker" around the whole van. I had been leaning towards the SMB in my mind as my #1 choice for a Class B, but being inside one just helped me finalize the decision. Actually, the owner told us that she had never been in one or looked at one before she bought her's, and she's never regretted that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson
I have the same layout, but in a RB format. I would not block the doorway as it will make getting in and out crowded, My gaucho is 6ft long but they are narrow and can be tight when sleeping two. Also the fridge makes alot of noise and vibration, if i could do it over again id move it to the other side so it doesnt vibrate near my head when i sleep! Prewire for solar, i love mine.
Jayson, thanks for the advice. I don't think I want to block the doorways (especially w/ a huge bed) at all, and I want to leave the rear "open" for many possibilities. When you say "other side" do you mean the other side of the galley run, or the other side of the van?

Just for everyone's info on the Gaucho, I'm assuming the plan sheet I downloaded and have been designing on is accurate in the dimensions, i.e. up to 78" long and 48" wide? If so, that'll be plenty big enough for me and my fiancee. I measured our mattress a little while ago (w/ my fiancee in the bed). It measures not even 75" long and only about 52" wide, and we have plenty of room to spare in bed. So, at only a few inches narrower, but longer, I believe the Gaucho will suffice just fine for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
If you're going to be moving furniture etc., the gaucho design you're thinking of might be best (if the kids can ride there) since you'll have a long galley space that can be loaded from the back or the side doors. You'll also be able to get to anything from inside with the doors closed. I have an EB50, it's what I wanted and I really appreciate the acreage in the middle, but it's a drag to have to open the back to access what's stored behind the bench seat/bed.... Are you thinking of a bike rack or just keeping the bikes in the open area in the back? You know, you'll wind up loving whatever you get. But one reason to consider buying used, is you have a chance (and some money left) to tailor your vehicle based on your actual experience, not your imaginings. This could be wise for someone who hasn't camped as an adult. Once you get everything perfect, in a dozen or so years when the kids don't want to hang with Dad, go crazy and buy new. What does your lady from Oregon think?
Joanna, I'm hoping my questions about the side-facing passengers returns some good answers. Assuming the gaucho is fine, I'm thinking that will be the best sleeping option for me, just in case I need to move something like a dresser, or plywood, or whatever. This will be my daily driver, my "pickup" truck, AND an RV. So it's got to be as flexible as I can make it. I may get an exterior bike rack eventually (as well as Aluminess bumpers!), so for now, I'm figuring the bike(s) will get tossed in the back.

I'm not against the idea of buying used, and you make a good point. When I'm ready to buy, I'll most certainly check out SMB's website, and this forum, for anything close to what I want. I've always owned used cars (never bought new) my whole life, so a used RV isn't out of the question at all.

And my fiancee absolutely LOVES them. She had accompanied me when I went to look at the local SMB. She was very excited about the idea, and is very supportive in my decision for an RV (a SMB). She was already picking out "her" color schemes from the samples SMB sent to me over the weekend. LOL....

Keep the comments flowing everyone! This is helping me immensely!

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware
I had gotten the name of a local owner and went to check out her SMB one Saturday.
Lucky guy. I was told SMB no longer does this as it bothers the owners too much. I then asked for contact info for one that was for sale locally and was told that I couldn't go see it due to the owners poor health. I had to drive 16 hours to see the first modern SMB I'd seen in person and it was the one I bought.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I was told SMB no longer does this as it bothers the owners too much. I then asked for contact info for one that was for sale locally and was told that I couldn't go see it due to the owners poor health. I had to drive 16 hours to see the first modern SMB I'd seen in person and it was the one I bought.
I'm guessing that each SMB facility has different "rules" when it comes to contacting owners, and it also depends on which owners give their name and contact info for inclusion in the "see a SMB" database. SMB-North told me that the owner closest to me had given her name/number as a contact for such purposes. So, I lucked out to only have to drive a half hour to see one in person. And I'm glad I did, because seeing it just sealed the deal in my mind.

Sportsmobile is THE RV for me! Now, to just sell my house!

(And before someone wonders if I'm selling my nice big 3 bedroom 1 bath house just to buy an RV, no I'm not. My fiancee bought her own house, and my house has too many "when I was married" memories for both of us, so I'm reducing my monthly expenses (and improving my finances) by selling my house. Which will also eliminate many utility bills and maintenance costs. This will enable me to focus on my SMB, and help my fiancee out a little w/ her utility bills, since I'll be living with her.)

Update for Joanna: I heard from Nancy (SMB-North) about the side-facing passengers on the gaucho. She said that's perfectly fine so long as there are seatbelts. She doesn't know of any Delaware laws that would change this. I'm still waiting to hear from the DE DMV on the matter, too.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 04-20-2008, 02:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware
Update for Joanna: I heard from Nancy (SMB-North) about the side-facing passengers on the gaucho. She said that's perfectly fine so long as there are seatbelts. She doesn't know of any Delaware laws that would change this. I'm still waiting to hear from the DE DMV on the matter, too.
I'm a little late to the party on this comment, but I've had several california police officers including hi-po ride sideways in my rear dinette.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #17

I did hear from the Delaware DMV and DelDOT on Friday. They said that facing sideways is acceptable, as long as there are seatbelts, so I'm golden. No worries. They gave me the references to the Code, too.

They also "quoted" the Regs as to what a vehicle has to have in order to be classified as an RV. It was interesting reading.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #18

Great news, Dave!
Just call me a crash dummy.
Looking forward to seeing your final decisions.
Joanna
Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
Great news, Dave!
Just call me a crash dummy.
Looking forward to seeing your final decisions.
Joanna
Yeah, I was glad to get confirmation from "them" so that's peace of mind. But you're not a crash dummy - it was a valid concern. I'm looking forward to seeing my final decisions, too. LOL.

I do have to rearrange some things, since Nancy (SMB-North) said that the wheel well would prevent having space for the water heater. And I don't want it in a box all by itself somewhere.

I am adding a recessed floor shower centered in the rear "open" area. I like that idea WAY better than the shower compartment that sticks out really far (and has no standing room).