Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #31

Re: Wanted Sportsmobile Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
congrats on the purchase, but sorry to hear about the motor issues

if you do have a diesel and are looking for trustworthy poeple familar with diesels in our area, let me know. I have few recommendations.
Thanks. We've taken it to a mechanic in Caldwell. Just curious who do you recommend?

Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #32

Garage

pat @ big twin diesel on king street in meridian. hes a cummins guy, but he and his team know all about the 6.0, thier downfalls, and how to make them reliable. pats good people and hes treated me right for all the little crap ive needed done with my 7.3. biggest issue with his shop is the wait time. dude is always busy, but theres a reason why. people trust him with thier rigs.

for any other local members that may have stumbled on this thread, ive got another guy id recommend as well, but he only works on the 7.3/4r100 setups. he has a fleet of 7.3 vans he uses for his business and knows how to keep them going, specifically how to beef up the 4r100 trannies for longevity. his business isnt servicing vans, but hes willing to work on them as a side. if anyone is interested, pm me for contact info.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #33

Well it's been 2 months and we still don't have the Sportsmobile back from the mechanic. Evidently they are waiting on a part that won't be available until the end of August. UGH!!!! One of these days we'll be able to post pictures of us actually using the van.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #34

To paraphrase Zeta "Sounds like my engine $20,000 ago". Good Luck and fingers crossed.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #35
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastover
Well it's been 2 months and we still don't have the Sportsmobile back from the mechanic. Evidently they are waiting on a part that won't be available until the end of August. UGH!!!! One of these days we'll be able to post pictures of us actually using the van.
Been there, done that! But mine was a combo of all sorts of crap. My van even got ripped off at the dealership which is something I'd like to forget I sure hope you get-er back soon. I feel for ya bro.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Been there, done that! But mine was a combo of all sorts of crap. My van even got ripped off at the dealership which is something I'd like to forget I sure hope you get-er back soon. I feel for ya bro.
How did it turn out? did you get it back in one piece?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #37
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
How did it turn out? did you get it back in one piece?
Not from the dealership. I almost hit the Dealership owner right in the mouth after being civil went nowhere. He never knew how close I came to swingin on em. He refused to pay for anything. I told SMB about it and they switched dealerships. Seems Freedom Ford was going out of business and didn't want to stand up to do what was right. SMB did a lot of work and cut me a deal on much of it. The rest came from my insurance...oh, and my $500 deductible They had completed the work but there were some bugs and I had to take it back and they had it for a week. The final engine work got done prior to the break-in by only a day. I was already mad because the main job (bed plate gasket) took part of spring, all summer, and part of fall and during that time I had removed all the valuables cause they claimed it would be down for a month. After taking it back they said they would keep it locked up inside so I left the van loaded up. It was only supposed to be a couple a days that turned into just over a week. Then I got the "do you want to hear the good news or bad news first". To tell the truth, it had inside job written all over it. At least the thieves dropped my safe they busted out and I got my Glock back. I was kind of sweatin that. The safe was laying by the van...go figure. About 12,000+ of stolen stuff and damage. Lost about 4K worth of optics. My toughbook was a $3500 hit by itself. I still find little things missing now and then. JERKS.

[edit] now you got me all stirred up and I wasn't planning to drink tonight

Old 09-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #38

Daveb,

Sorry to have you bring that up. Sounds like a nightmare!

Just found out we now have to wait until the middle of October for the part. Evidentally, Ford fired the company that manufactured the part. The new company wasn't set up for it so Ford went back to the previous company to see if they'd still make the part in the interim. They told Ford to piss off. Now there's a huge back order for this part. This had better be worth the wait. Hopefully the SMB will run perfectly for a very long time.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #39
Site Team

Do you know what the part is? There may be aftermarket parts as good as, or even better, than the Ford part.

Herb
Old 09-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #40
Site Team

Garage

Loosing your RV isn't like loosing your car but Ford should at least pay for a rental while your van is down. It sucks when it is stuck in the shop during the vacation season. My guess is even if you found a aftermarket part, Ford wouldn't warranty it.

I wish you luck.