Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #11

We've had our SMB for about 7 months, slept in it over 50 nights, filled the water tank countless times, and only twice used the external fill spigot. I'll try to get some photos to post, but basically the system is:

A. Female quick release permanantly attached to internal tank fill line (one that won't let water flow back out, although we put a plug in it anyway once full)

B. Male quick release fitting installed on 5 gal water jug and on 2.5gal MSR dromedary bag.

C. Mating quick releases (one M and one F) on the short 4' hose SMB supplied. Also have F quick release on a funnel

Operation:

1. Fill 5 gal jug and/or 2.5 gal bag in any restroom or sink or whatever. If it's from a sink in a bathroom, the hose quick connects to the top of the container, and the funnel quick connects to the hose. Easy to fill 5 gal container this way in any bathroom.

2. Back in the van, the container sits on the countertop, the hose quick connects to the container and into the water fill inlet.

3. Tip container, water flows into the tank, no spills, no attendance required, and go do something else while the container empties.

4. As an added bonus, the sink faucet has a M quick release on it, so that we can set a closed loop with the hose between the sink and the water tank. If we're going to be overnight someplace REALLY cold, we can turn on the pump, with a little hot water (the pump can't take full steaming hot water or you'll kill it), and cycle warm/'lightly hot' water into your tank and your water distro system. This adds an incredible thermal mass to your water system, ensuring that it won't freeze for quite a while.

It's so easy to fill water this way, that we don't ever bother filling from the external. Plus, we do a lot of winter camping, and if we fill from the external, we have to go through the trouble to drain the fill line as I don't like the tubing inside my walls to go through multiple freeze/thaw cycles...

PS: For those who use hard jerry cans instead of the collapsing containers... the best way for you would be the option someone on the Yahoo Groups recommended, mixed with my option. Do the quick connect to the water tank. The other end of the fill hose put on a "super siphon". Now put the Jerry can up on the counter top, connect the hose to the fill line, and take the other end (with the super siphon) and do a few "plunk plunk plunks" and you water will flow. Again, now you'll be able to leave your system unattended while your tank fills. No spills, no mess, no troubles.
A. example of how it works here:
http://www.boatshowproducts.com/SuperSi ... ggodlALGmg
B. Do NOT order from www.xtend-a-hitchnorthwest.com; they never shipped, and won't return my $.

Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #12

Garage
There are so many types and sizes of threads and quick disconnects, findinfg the right one can take a while. Perhaps a part number and manufacturer, and a picture will help us here.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
There are so many types and sizes of threads and quick disconnects, findinfg the right one can take a while. Perhaps a part number and manufacturer, and a picture will help us here.
Will do. I'll try to get that done tonight when I get home. It really does work well though.
Amsoil
Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #14

OK, I've added pics and what approximates instructions in the Modifications forum, see here:

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1305#1305
Amsoil
Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #15

OK, as I've mentioned elsewhere, we just got back from a month of camping in the SMB and obviously had to fill the water tank a few times. Most of the time we were able to find a spigot and just fill the tank from the outside shore hookup. The times we had to carry water from another source (bottles or couldn't get close enough to the spigot) we used the funnel thing I mentioned earlier. Well, it worked. Let's just leave it at that. The best thing that method was for was starting an argument with the wife. You know how it goes.
Me - Hold the damn funnel still.
Wife - I am holding it, stop moving the stupid bucket!
Well, it went downhill from there.

What I ended up doing is buying one of those 5 gallon Reliance, collapsable water containers to carry the water. Seeing as how I already butchered the four foot water fill hose by cutting off the male end and I was not near a store where I could work up what Kzemach suggested, I was still stuck with the funnel thing until I realized that the ID of the water hose was just slightly smaller then the OD on the Reliance jug. It pushes on the spigot with a tight fit and the hose is just long enough for the container to sit on the counter. (At least on an RB50 floor plan)
Here's what I did:

Whatever happened to the see through version of this thing?

The picture doesn't show the light rope that I tie from the handle on the container to the penthouse support to keep the bag from falling of the counter when it changes shape as it empties.

Closeup of the hose on the spigot.

Those of faint of heart that don't want to wash their floor with five gallons of water could always use a hose clamp to make the connection a little more secure, but I didn't feel it was needed.

Anyway, that's my in the field, quick and easy way to get water into the tank. Seeing as how it works so well, I don't plan on changing it. If I have to buy water in bottles (like in Mexico) I'll just dump them in the Reliance and go from there.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote