Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #1

Water pump orientation and accumulator questions??

Hello. I知 installing a shurflo water pump for my DIY build in my SMB. I知 mounting the pump under the van on the frame and I知 wondering if the orientation matters on how I mount it. Is it ok to mount it upside? or on its side ? Will it pump water or be able to prime itself? It痴 self priming so I suppose it should.

Also looking. For your thought son the shurflo accumulator? Is it necessary and the the filter?? I have them but I壇 rather have as little parts as possible.

Thx!!!

Cruzliife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #2

Garage
water pump

I don't know about the orientation, it looks like it could work in any position. I would however, keep the filter. My pump started running about every three seconds because it wasn't holding pressure. I took it out and rinsed out the check valve and it is working again. Something had gotten through the filter and was allowing a backflow. In spite of it allowing something through, there were some particles in the filter that it did catch and that may have caused me trouble had they gotten through, so it's good insurance for trouble free (mostly) operation.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #3

Garage
Also, I don't have an accumulator, but all I have is a sink so I don't really need one.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #4

Garage
No idea what configuration you've outlined to plumb your Rig, but may want to consider (if you haven't already) including a system to allow adding chemicals when needed.

You'll obviously be pulling water from someplace, so I would include a "Y" fitting (located just BEFORE the intake to the pump): One side of the "Y" for your water source, the other attach a shut-off valve with a 3ft small hose - so when the time comes that you want/need to run a chemical through the system you can just place the end of the hose in the bottle/container, open the cut-off valve and turn on your pump, and suck directly through your system (EX: a little bleach to sanitize, any type of water treatment, or winterizer if you'll need it). If you're mounting a water tank you'll want to rethink the strategy to accomplish the same. Properly planned, it will make these types of processes considerably easier - viod of spilling, hassle, and frustration.