Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #1

Weldtec fiberglass fenders durability for E series?

Hey there to everyone here on Sportsmobile forum! Just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you to all the clever and helpful folks that make up this awesome community.
So for my first post I'm curious about anyone who owns or has a friend who owns the Weldtec fiberglass front E series fenders (2008-current) experience with them as far as durability is concerned.
Have two main concerns
1- Any gelcoat or structural crack issues?

2- How much effort / time was involved with getting them to fit properly?

I really like them compared to the Bushwacker or body work options for clearing 33" + tires. Main reason I'm asking is I've been told by several people with many years in the off-road industry that the company that molds them for Weldtec makes their glass too thin for cosmetic longevity. Obviously not an issue with race trucks but seem's like the potential for a problem for those of us that want to paint them nice and keep them that way...
I am in NO way questioning Weldtec Designs as they do great fabrication work and are very fair with their pricing.
Thanks in advance and cheers

Rothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #2

Garage
I have the earlier body style fenders and they are quite durable. I had an incident offroad where I hit a dirt wall of sorts and the front wheel was pushed into the glass very hard (lots of collateral damage). The glass did fracture, but it's still in good condition overall. If that were a steel fender it would have been ruined.

With that said, fiberglass is used offroad due to the weight savings and flexibility. They take some time to get fitted correctly and will crack/fracture when hit, but they are far cheaper and easier than custom steel panels in the same shape. Hope that helps a little.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
I have the earlier body style fenders and they are quite durable. I had an incident offroad where I hit a dirt wall of sorts and the front wheel was pushed into the glass very hard (lots of collateral damage). The glass did fracture, but it's still in good condition overall. If that were a steel fender it would have been ruined.

With that said, fiberglass is used offroad due to the weight savings and flexibility. They take some time to get fitted correctly and will crack/fracture when hit, but they are far cheaper and easier than custom steel panels in the same shape. Hope that helps a little.

Scott
Scott, this is good intel on the fenders. In your profile pic, are those the Weldtec fenders? Also, I installed your lights on my '03 van. I was contemplating replacing the stock steel fenders with the Weldtecs and was wondering if there are any tricks/issues with installing along with your lights. Here's a pic with the the lights, which by the way are awesome.

Thanks,

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1477.jpg  
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Scott, this is good intel on the fenders. In your profile pic, are those the Weldtec fenders? Also, I installed your lights on my '03 van. I was contemplating replacing the stock steel fenders with the Weldtecs and was wondering if there are any tricks/issues with installing along with your lights. Here's a pic with the the lights, which by the way are awesome.

Thanks,

Greg
Greg,

Yes they are the Weldtec fenders. There really aren't any tricks other than exercising patience when installing and fitting the fenders. It did take a fair amount of time, but it's worth it for running a larger tire.

It's also a good time to upgrade to the Tru-Cool trans cooler if that's on your radar as you need to do the same amount of disassembly for it as well.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20160702_094157.jpg   20160702_095241.jpg   20160702_095247.jpg   20160422_165359.jpg   20160422_165517.jpg  

Old 09-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the insights and speedy reply. Thanks also for adding another project to my list! The difference in size of that trans cooler is huge.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Thanks for the insights and speedy reply. Thanks also for adding another project to my list! The difference in size of that trans cooler is huge.
It made a huge difference for my setup. We were seeing 235ºF and higher temps before, now we rarely see 200 unless it's a long sand section with high load and wheel speed.

Scott
Old 09-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #7

Thanks for the quick reply Redoval! Solid information all around. Already had my eye on the Tru Cool's but you've sold me and have ordered one.
That look's like a Weldtec front bumper if I'm not mistaken. That the one with the hidden winch?

Anyone else with experience with the 2008 - current style would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothy View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Redoval! Solid information all around. Already had my eye on the Tru Cool's but you've sold me and have ordered one.
That look's like a Weldtec front bumper if I'm not mistaken. That the one with the hidden winch?

Anyone else with experience with the 2008 - current style would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!
Rothy,

That is a Weldtec bumper, though the Classic prerunner style without the hidden winch. If I were to do it again, I would definitely get the winch model as my van is still 2wd and the added confidence provided by a winch would be great!

Scott
Old 09-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #9

Redoval, good to know and helps me solidify my decision to go with a winch bumper up front as well even thou my E-350 is 4x4 with ARB's. I'm sure the first time I need it in a remote area the winch will have basically paid for itself.
Great looking van by the way! Dig the charcoal. Saw a picture of it on a website out of LA or the OC selling fiberglass fenders they claimed to be their own design. Can't remember the name at the moment
Old 09-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothy View Post
Redoval, good to know and helps me solidify my decision to go with a winch bumper up front as well even thou my E-350 is 4x4 with ARB's. I'm sure the first time I need it in a remote area the winch will have basically paid for itself.
Great looking van by the way! Dig the charcoal. Saw a picture of it on a website out of LA or the OC selling fiberglass fenders they claimed to be their own design. Can't remember the name at the moment
The site is ADV Fiberglass, which is an extension of the old Glassworks....they are the company that makes the fenders sold by Weldtec.

Scott