Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #11

Garage
Re: What do you all think? Please help

While I haven't owned a GMC van or a diesel I did a lot of research before getting our current Ford 5.4L gas. The Chevy/GMC chassis is pretty similar to the Ford. The Chevy cab had a little more foot room but the controls, like the seat adjusters and window switches, seemed more fragile in the Chevy. I really like the idea of the GM 6 speed torqueshift transmission (if the 2008 diesel has that?) - but the 4 speed AOD on our Ford works pretty well too.

I haven't owned a 4x4 but it seems like the combination of long wheelbase and minimal lift would not be best for rough roads. OTOH it should be great on snow and ice with the right tires.

As far as price, that all depends on the market and what are the alternatives. Just assume you will never be able to sell the van (any van).

Old 10-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #12

What do you all think? Please help

My gut says a "4" should be in the front of the price for it to be a decent deal. I bet if it were a 50 plan the market of buyers would be bigger.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #13

My guess is that it is a Quigley, as the "4x4" decal on the rear looks like the same one they use.

We have a similar interior layout in our Ford EB and really like it. The mid-ship dinette/bed is easy to use and makes up into a nice size bed for two people. We have two full-height cabinets in the back, not just one like this SMB has, and they are great for clothing and other storage. You could easily add a second from the looks of it.

Also, if you would ever need to add a third captain's chair you could easily do it with this layout; that's what we did to gain a chair for our son (see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9212).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
No Allison? That interesting/disappointing. I would think the running gear of a GM van would be the same as the running gear of a GM truck. What sort of trans does it have?

Herb
4L85E. Starting with '12 models they upgraded to a 6L80E, which has much better gearing, but still not an allison. Under severe use the 4L80e does not have a super great reputation. But if you stay within specs (i.e. keep any trailer weight down so your total weight stays under 16,000 pounds) it will probably hold up just fine provided it is maintained.

Vans (and Burbs) can't have the Allison because there is not enough space under the floor. I've seen some burb's get a transplant, and it required a 2" body lift. Probably the same situation for the vans.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #15

If you want a diesel, and you want 4x4 for bad weather on-road traction, the Express is a good choice. It's certainly a more a reliable motor than the Ford 6.0 PowerStroke. But as others have mentioned, its IFS 4x4 can be limited for off-road travel. The giant turning radius of the extended express can also be a handicap off-road.

Also there isn't much aftermarket support. Lift-kits, power-train upgrades, and even body accessories are just less available for the chevy vans.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #16

Thanks for the advice everyone really appreciate all the input. Seems like a really helpful community you all have here.
Sccrbllr is offline   Reply With Quote