Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

What do you all think? Please help

New bee here. new to sportsmobiles. And definitely ready for one. With that being said what do you all think about this van? Good deal? Bad deal? For this I would be giving up my duramax truck and my Gto. I am a chevy/gmc guy should I get over it and buy a ford model? All opinions are welcomed, and wanted. Definitely looking for a 4x4 and diesel. and around that price range, just not sure if its a good deal. Thanks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-S...7#ht_500wt_948

Sccrbllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #2

Re: What do you all think? Please help

You don't see to many GMC 4X4 diesel Sportsmobiles out there. Do you have any information on the running gear? What kind of 4X conversion was it? Since there is a picture of a transfer case shift lever one has to assume it's not just an All-Wheel drive that the salesfolk are calling a 4X4.

I'm totally clueless on the value of this vehicle or if it's a good deal or not. Maybe some of the GM people on the forum can chime in with some good advise

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #3

Since you are a GM guy you should buy it, you will have trouble finding another one for sale.
As Gnarvan said GM vans are super rare and ones with 4x4 and or a diesel are even more rare.
My guess is its a Quigley conversion and it might have IFS as its sits quite low.
It seems like a good price to me as some of the 08 Ford that have been for sale on this forum have been a lot more money.

Let us know if you get it...
Good luck...
...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

Thanks guys it is IFS looks a lot like the setup on my gm pickup. Just found out that it doesn't have an Allison tranny though, not sure if I like that too much. Tough decision up ahead
Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #5

My advice is to give the most thought to interior layout and less to brand. Also, IIRC, that van has been for sale for close to two years on one site or another. As such, if you buy it plan on not selling it. IMO the Allison is not that big of a selling point, mostly marketing. The torqshift is at least as good if not better stock IMO and there are plenty of upgrades for the 4L85E, although I have not needed to do anything to mine, at least not yet (56k miles).
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

Ok webbmac I saw your van in your gallery and love it. Thats what i want but just cant afford to buy new. price range is about 50k+- . Ok question for you is why do you think its been for sale for so long? What negatives do you see? What positives? As i stated earlier never owned a sportsmobile and just dont know what to look for. Is yours ifs or swapped out for solid front axle. The look is great. What lift does it have, and what size tires are you running with that setup. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #7

I think it's been sitting because of the IFS and also the non-standard interior. I think IFS would be a tough sell to the core SMB fan. It has too little clearance IMO and also IFS has challenges with weight and being lifted.

My van is a Quigley 3.5" lift with a Dana 60 Front axle ('04 F350 spec incl brakes). We love it, but I can't imagine too many (more than 5-10) were built out as SMBs when Quigley was doing the Dana 60 in them. I've seen four (including mine) for sale in five years. I know the '07 GMC RB-50 on the SMB Texas used site sold for mid-$70s over the summer. Seeing as the Duramax vans started in '06+, $50k+/- would be optimistic IMO. Maybe you could pick the one in the ad up for less and mod the front end and lift it?

OTOH, the Fords are great, too. The SMB suspension setup is fantastic. Good luck with the search, you can't go wrong!
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccrbllr
Thanks guys it is IFS looks a lot like the setup on my gm pickup. Just found out that it doesn't have an Allison tranny though, not sure if I like that too much. Tough decision up ahead
No Allison? That interesting/disappointing. I would think the running gear of a GM van would be the same as the running gear of a GM truck. What sort of trans does it have?

Herb
Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #9

My work switched to GM ambulances with the Duramax from Ford E series. I must say they have been far more reliable, are more quiet and have a better interior design (cab) than the Ford. My only complaint is that gearing down in these things does almost nothing to slow the vehicle down.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #10

What do you all think? Please help

I agree with webbmac. Is the interior layout going to work for you?

Also, will you/wife be able to comfortably pop the top (someone in another thread is dreading the manual pop top)? Do you like how it looks?

Price, looks and layout were key for me when I was in the market.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote