Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #1

What do you think of the new ford classic smb coming out soon?

Hi! I am new member here and am intertested in buying the ford classic smb thats is being developed now, and wanted to get some advice/opinions from current ford smb owners on what they thought of the classic version? I have done some research and the v10 gas engine is supposed to be really reliable.
is there any concerns with the new fiberglass shell? also seems like the price is high? thoughts?

thks
Stuart

sjappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #2

Probably not much help, but I am surprised they didnt go to more of a box shape. Dealing with those curves sucks, and I'm sure people would sacrifice the look for more space.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #3

I saw them in person when I was at SMB west. They had one built up and a prototypish one there. There was also talk of a german made rear that would also be going on the E series cutaway, but have not seen it.

I did not get to go in the finished one as it was on a lift, but I did snoop around the prototype. It looks good and should be strong if reinforced correctly. But yeah, you won't find a lot of experience with these as nobody has used one yet.

As far as the motor and trans, yes, the V10 with 6 speed is what I think you will get and it is a great combination. Quiet with smooth power. It does like gas stations though.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #4

Do you think it would be smart to wait until they have atleast a year of builds done before I buy? this is looking like it will be well over 100K, which is a lot for a RV of this size, especially when you cna get the sprinter 4x4 fully loaded for less?

also dont want to spend that kind of money on something that will be breaking and have lots of issues since new design?
Old 06-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #5

You never want to buy the first production run of anything new. That being said, this is a different case. You won't have mechanical issues or systems issues with the rig, it could be just some cosmetic stuff if anything happens at all.

Sportsmobiles aren't cheap. You gotta pay to play.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

Any reason not to buy a gently used one? From what it seems like, Sportsmobiles quickly drop to sub 70k and then slowly go down from there at a somewhat constant rate
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

well, where would I find a slightly used one? I dont want the 6l diesel, I know too many people who are huge ford fans that said stay away..if I could find a 7.3liter would jump on that? and to me needs to be less than 40k miles on it.. im ok viwth the v10 triton, heard very reliable, but gas hog as expected..

so if I could find a eb50 with a v10 triton or 7.3l diesel, with less that 40K I would go for it if in good shape...ideas? I have been looking on here and smb directly and havent found one yet..
Old 06-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #8

You won't find any SMB's with less than 40k miles on them and if you do they will be late models and command top dollar.

If you don't need or want the lift of the E350 and the higher end of the 4x4 capabilities, than a 4x4 sprinter is not a bad choice at all.

OR

Buy a 5.4l which are all over the place, have someone other than SMB do the 4X4 and then take it to SMB for the finished build.

What are your needs and wants??
Old 06-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #9

If you want a New 4x4 Beast that will crawl about anywhere; that's a Ford Van; that's an rv too; buy one!
It's gotta start somewhere, step up, buy one and get there and explore the back country. Then report back here how it's all playing out...
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #10

You will not find a used Classic as they have just gone into production.They are only available in extended length and with pop-top roof and built on the Econoline cut-away. The next step is going to be bonding a fiberglass high top to the same place the pop-top normally fits. This is at least a couple of years away. SMB West is also in discussions with a European manufacturer (I know it is not Hymer) to build a 73" wide box shaped (walls plumb/vertical) camper section to go on the cut-away. These are only discussions. There is no assurance that this will ever go beyond the talk stage. If it does, this vehicle is at least 5 years away. I know this from a discussion with Alan Feld, owner of SMB West. The Classic and these future iterations are/will be what are unofficially called Class B+ or C- motorhomes, though technically, they are very small Class C.

As far as used Ford SMBs, these were built when the full body Econoline cargo vans (mainly E-350) were in production. They are true Class B motorhomes. They were built in regular and extended lengths and with a choice of high top or pop-top roof. You can search Craig's List as well as see consignment sales pages on the SMB site.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote