Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #11

By the way, we're selling our 2004 e350 4x4 and stepping across into a Sprinter 6cyl 4x4 170 wb: it will NEVER take us were our Ford has off road wise. But we're what we refer to as Old Bones now and we can access 80% of the climbing areas we haunt, and, that'll do for the next lap we plan on running!

EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #12

Hi Tomh,

Are you sure the ford classic has started production? We had booked flights to go to fresno in july to finalize a plan and cost, but they said they had not started production yet, and have not finalized the cost yet. So we canceled our trip since didnt make any sense to put down 2000$ when they couldnt tell me the cost.. and its non-refundable.

I would like the high top version also, did yo uget the feeling that will happen too?

we really will not be able to use this for traveling for a couple years, so I have time.
sjappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Buy a 5.4l which are all over the place, have someone other than SMB do the 4X4 and then take it to SMB for the finished build.
If you find a used E-350 still on the road, SMB will do the 4x4 conversion and the camper conversion both. Quigley is about the only other top-notch upfitter you might want to consider doing the 4x4 conversion. Passenger versions of the E-350 are more plentiful than the cargo van however the cargo van is far more preferable for the conversion due to structural strength. Also, the passenger version has windows in places where you would not want them.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #14

EmMay, how much are you wanting for the 2004 e350? specs? pics?
sjappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Quigley is about the only other top-notch upfitter you might want to consider doing the 4x4 conversion.
Gotta call you on this one.. this statement is wrong. There are a variety of excellent 4x4 conversions available.. several of which are better than SMB or Quigley.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjappers View Post
Hi Tomh,

Are you sure the ford classic has started production?
When we were there twice in February and I saw two of them in various stages of production on the line. I have pictures of them in this thread.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Gotta call you on this one.. this statement is wrong. There are a variety of excellent 4x4 conversions available.. several of which are better than SMB or Quigley.
My favorite part of this is how many people are going to other 4x4 places to improve their quigleys.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post

I second this. Quigley is fine if you get the RIP kit from Agile. Not sure what can be done to improve SMB's 4x4 which I was told by a reliable source "drive like shit" and another that said they are not so great. That's not my words, but I trust these guys, they would know and are in the industry. Ujoint Offroad, Agile Offroad, and Expovans all have offerings that will drive better than any Quigley or SMB in an E350.

Personally, my Agile suspension has settled in and drives like a dream. It's almost silly how well it drives for a van that big. I have not driven any other 4x4 van conversions.

But the 4x4 thing is for another thread. I found the van I wanted and had it converted to 4x4 and then took it to SMB for the pop top. I am doing my own interior (for better or for worse). SMB will do your interior as well if you want.

The hard part is finding the base van you want.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjappers View Post
EmMay, how much are you wanting for the 2004 e350? specs? pics?
Solar, swivel seats, platform bed, LED Lights on Aluminess rack, Aluminess Bumper, Delux Box, Swing Arm for spare. Engle cooler brand new.
Atlas 2 transfer case, ARB lockers front and rear, 75 k miles, new battery, last years wheels, 50 g tank, 5.4l. Dana 60.
New stereo, six speakers, sub woofer, Pent House Top.
NOT a SMB. Work receipts, all details, etc.
My rig is expected to arrive SMBwest in November - December. Build may be completed around May '18.
Neighbor wants the rig. aWants me to give him 'first right of refusal'! ha. Offered us 40$g. We thought that was a good starting point.
Its not an rv, no toilet, no water tank, no propane etc..
What it is is one bad ass 4x4 camping machine that is virtually unstoppable and well maintained.
Top of my head details, would put together an offer sheet later in year after word of our new rig pops up.
See Profile for a few random shots of the rig if you want...
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
...Quigley is about the only other top-notch upfitter you might want to consider doing the 4x4 conversion.

Someone has missed a few threads around here....
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote