Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2023, 05:59 AM   #1

what is this drain tube for?

There's a drain tube with a valve on it near the propane tank (see attached photos). I've never paid any attention to it previously but it suddenly started leaking. It seems to be connected to the water holding tank. It drips through the valve when it is closed and drips through the tube when open. I don't understand it's function or how it's connected to the water tank. Does anyone know what this is?

We have a 2012 E350 with a RB50 design.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4187.jpeg   IMG_4186.jpeg   IMG_4185.jpeg  

Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:54 AM   #2

Looks similar to what is on mine. It is the lowest water drain point on the van to drain the entire water system lines. At least, that's what I use it for.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
Looks similar to what is on mine. It is the lowest water drain point on the van to drain the entire water system lines. At least, that's what I use it for.
This is correct. I only use this when I winterize the van to drain the water lines at the lowest point when I blow out the lines with compressed air.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
This is correct. I only use this when I winterize the van to drain the water lines at the lowest point when I blow out the lines with compressed air.
Where are you connecting the air compressor? Are you pressurizing the water pump, and do you have concerns of damage? I need to find another way…it takes way too long to flush antifreeze out of the system each spring.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:12 PM   #5

I believe thers another valve on top of my tank (16 1/2 gal) - 2002 E350 that can be opened which should reduce pressure when using air compressor - and I also open the drain valve on my hot water tank heater - the anode tube drain -
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:15 PM   #6

Great, thanks for the replies.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post
Where are you connecting the air compressor? Are you pressurizing the water pump, and do you have concerns of damage? I need to find another way…it takes way too long to flush antifreeze out of the system each spring.
My winterizing protocol is to first drain my freshwater tank and then shut off the valves to isolate it so no antifreeze ever goes into the tank. Then I drain my water heater. Then I attack an air blow out plug to the outside water hose connection (see link below). Then I use my air compressor to put a little pressure (20-30 psi is plenty) in my water lines and blow out my water heater so I can isolate this so no antifreeze ever goes into my water heater tank. Then one by one I blow out all the faucets with a little air pressure.

It would probably be safe to stop here but I go one step further and pump a little antifreeze into the water lines. I rigged up a siphon hose on the input side of my water pump. I stick the siphon hose into a gallon jug of antifreeze and turn on my water pump to pump a little antifreeze to each faucet. I probably use about 1/2 gallon or so of antifreeze to protect the water lines and the pump. This also puts a little antifreeze into my black and grey tanks.

It is easy to clean this minimal amount of antifreeze out in the spring since there is none in the freshwater tank or the water heater tank. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36153-B...s%2C137&sr=8-8
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:49 PM   #8

I would take things apart and blow air through them, see if there's goo in that hose and valve at end. Looks to me like a residential water hose quick shut-off valve. $5 or less at any hardware store. Did you remove it at least to see if water starts pouring out?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:04 AM   #9

I think the valve is bad and ‘simply’ needs to be replaced. I’m trying to figure out how to get it off. It’s a barbed fitting that fits inside the tubing. Need to look more carefully.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:51 AM   #10

That is most likely a Pex Crimp, actually not easy to remove. You most likely need to cut the pipe back above the connection. Pex cinch clamps and tool are little easier in confined spaces, versus the crimp ring tool. They also have push-on connections : SharkBite 1/2-in Push-to-connect x 1/2-in Push-to-connect Ball Valve

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote