Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #1

What springs to get

I've use the search function to no avail. Trying to determine which springs front and rear to get to give me a little lift and replace my saggy rear end. Planning on getting Bilstein shocks. 95 E250 EB 2wd front 3400lb rear 5345lb per SMB door sticker.

Squirrel_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

Depends how fancy you want to get. You can get custom Deaver-type springs for a great ride and lots of $$, or go more basic (like I did) with just an updated spring pack. I got mine from ATS springs, with a 4/1 setup (4 regular leaves and one overload) upgrade from my sagged, stock 3/1 setup. Rides great and really got my van's rear end back up where it should be. I used to drag my bike rack on bigger dips (driveways, etc.), but haven't once since the upgrade. Money very well spent and the van rides much better now. As I posted in your other thread, it was about $600 installed for the new springs, shackles, bolts, etc.

I'll probably update the front springs one of these days, but I don't think they are that bad. I upgraded to Bilsteins all-around several years back when I upgraded to the 2012 front suspension.

See my review on FTE vans section, with before/after pics: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...on-review.html

My van, loaded for traveling, is 8650 pounds +/- total, 3350 front, 5250 rear, as actually weighed about a month ago.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #3

Also if anyone can recommend a shop near Portlnd Oregon to get my leaf springs redone.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Depends how fancy you want to get. You can get custom Deaver-type springs for a great ride and lots of $$, or go more basic (like I did) with just an updated spring pack. I got mine from ATS springs, with a 4/1 setup (4 regular leaves and one overload) upgrade from my sagged, stock 3/1 setup. Rides great and really got my van's rear end back up where it should be. I used to drag my bike rack on bigger dips (driveways, etc.), but haven't once since the upgrade. Money very well spent and the van rides much better now. As I posted in your other thread, it was about $600 installed for the new springs, shackles, bolts, etc.

I'll probably update the front springs one of these days, but I don't think they are that bad. I upgraded to Bilsteins all-around several years back when I upgraded to the 2012 front suspension.

See my review on FTE vans section, with before/after pics: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...on-review.html

My van, loaded for traveling, is 8650 pounds +/- total, 3350 front, 5250 rear, as actually weighed about a month ago.
Did it give you any lift or just get you back to level?
Old 07-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #5

I just found out there's a Betts springs in Portland. After doing some forum research they are SMB supplier.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_murphy View Post
Did it give you any lift or just get you back to level?
I think it gave some lift above level. You can see it in the photo in the FTE link.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #7

Have you weighed the van yet?

There's a good chance you're over original axle ratings as posted on the door sticker. Many SMBs and other campers are. You may want something rated higher than 5345.

Best thing to do is load up the van as if you're ready to camp for a long trip, then head to a ODOT scale. When they are not operating, they are open for public use.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I think it gave some lift above level. You can see it in the photo in the FTE link.
What springs are you going to use when you do the fronts?
Old 07-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Have you weighed the van yet?

There's a good chance you're over original axle ratings as posted on the door sticker. Many SMBs and other campers are. You may want something rated higher than 5345.

Best thing to do is load up the van as if you're ready to camp for a long trip, then head to a ODOT scale. When they are not operating, they are open for public use.
Does Sportsmobile put beefier suspension on the 2wd vans when they build them?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_murphy View Post
I've use the search function to no avail. Trying to determine which springs front and rear to get to give me a little lift and replace my saggy rear end. Planning on getting Bilstein shocks. 95 E250 EB 2wd front 3400lb rear 5345lb per SMB door sticker.
Have you checked out Weldtec Designs or Agile? Both have great options for a 2inch lift. I spent so much time reading everyone's, and I do mean every single build thread while I was recovering from a spinal fusion. I couldn't even ride as a passenger in my 2013 E150 XLT. I felt every single crack, dip, and expansion joint. I looked and sounded like I had turrets. My wife wanted to sell it. I finally chose to go with a 4 inch lift from Weldtec Designs. Jeremy at Weldtec was great to do business with. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of spending that kind of money with no guarantee Id even be able to ride in it! But in the end I couldn't be happier with my choice! It's smoother over bumps than my Lexus LS430! Honestly, don't go the cheapest route because you'll regret it.
Badback12 is offline   Reply With Quote