Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #1

What to buy today... What to buy...? (swing arms and boxes)

Hello All! I have not even peeked here recently but glad to see the forum is so active... Hope everyone is well and healthy and hunkered down somewhere decent! I have a new roommate (daughter +darling dog came to stay when her college closed campus and will now stay the summer); Life is good here.

Re My BUDGET: I need tires + a swing arm tire carrier($850 Aluminess) .... and of course I noticed the rear bumper WITH swing arm (close to $3000 with shipping, Aluminess) Quite a bit more cost. Actually all van costs keep rising rising while I procrastinate! Modest income so my purchases are budgeted closely....

I can travel pretty light carrying all inside; it works. However I would LIKE a haul box in 2021 for some travelling. Do I need something other than a 2011 OEM bumper for that?

Anyone have other input?

Old 04-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

Aluminess sells a swing arm for a box without the bumper. Basically like the tire carrier but without the mount for the spare and instead with a mount for a box. But then you have to buy the box.

You can search for used ones as they pop up regularly but not often. Just be ready to buy when it comes up. They go fast.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #3

Annie, the Aluminess swing arms for the stock bumpers are quite limited in carrying capacity, something like 50 lbs which includes the weight of the 20+lb box itself. Maybe 25 to 30 lbs of gear.

Here are the options as I see them:
1. Passenger side swing arm for OEM plus bumper box. Limitations for weight.

2. Driver side swing arm to get the spare out from under the floor and install a 55 gal storage box below. More storage and carrying capacity than #1 but not quite as convenient as bumper box. Requires cutting and some minor fabbing to mount the underfloor box. Larger storage capacity in terms of volume and much more in terms of weight than rear bumper box. Also, more secure. Accessible from inside if you have a walk through or open floor plan.

3. Full Aluminess bumper w swing arms (shop around as some places are offering free shipping) plus Aluminess or other box. The bumper itself also has a storage compartment but it is not water tight by any means. You then can still add the underfloor storage if so desired. Most expensive but most capable as now you are up to 50 to 60 lb carrying capacity IN and ON the bumper box (Definitely get the large box and the top rails). Under floor storage is water tight and during the colder months serves as a cold storage compartment for food.

4. Roof mounted box/boxes (if no solar) - requires roof bars/feet and boxes plus Aluminesss side ladder/s if you do not already have. Cheapest option with lots of storage space but not as convenient as rear box or underfloor. Boxes heat up in the sun so no perishable food storage.

With the RB there is already a storage challenge vs the EB vans. Getting items that are compact and can do double duty is key. The Aluminess front bumper also has a storage space with room for recovery gear in addition to the winch. I even have my breakdown Warn shovel/ax/pick an handles up there plus straps / shackles.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Hello All! I have not even peeked here recently but glad to see the forum is so active... Hope everyone is well and healthy and hunkered down somewhere decent! I have a new roommate (daughter +darling dog came to stay when her college closed campus and will now stay the summer); Life is good here.
Good to know you're okay and we've missed ya!

What size tires you seeing AnnieO? I've got a stupid great vendor selling NEW Michelin LTX 245-/75-R16's, take offs with zero miles, from the Winnebago factory.

This vendor sells to anyone with money, located a bit south of Lima OH. They will ship if that's needed. So far I've bought 11 (eleven) tires from them at a small discount from their eBay prices---they like cash!

Lemme know if this is of interest.

J W
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #5

Here's another option:

Wilco offers a heavy duty swing-out tire carrier that simply uses the hitch receiver, and it has an optional cargo tray over the top. Plus, it retains a receiver still, so you could use that for another cargo carrier.

https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-max/

Plus they have a lower-cost tire carrier:
https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/
Old 04-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Here's another option:

Wilco offers a heavy duty swing-out tire carrier that simply uses the hitch receiver, and it has an optional cargo tray over the top. Plus, it retains a receiver still, so you could use that for another cargo carrier.

Plus they have a lower-cost tire carrier:
https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/
I'm curious if anyone has had experience with the product, I've been wanting a full swing out bumper but it's hard to swallow the price of a full Aluminess setup. This seems to be good mid tier solution as I could take it off since it's my daily. Hmmmmm....
Old 04-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Here's another option:

Wow..all that goes in the hitch receiver? The heim joints (Spherical rod ends) look very stout.....I hope this carrier has an anti-wobble feature.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Here's another option:

Wilco.....
Thanks Carringb- Wilco doesn't seem to cost less than ALuminess but I will study these closer- I'm ready to be distracted from other home improvement purchases which also require immediate fund$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Here are the options as I see them:....
THANKS RAY! truly appreciate you, and the simplification I sorely needed
Old 04-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Good to know you're okay and we've missed ya!

What size tires you seeing AnnieO? I've got a stupid great vendor selling NEW Michelin LTX 245-/75-R16's, take offs with zero miles, from the Winnebago factory.

This vendor sells to anyone with money, located a bit south of Lima OH. They will ship if that's needed. So far I've bought 11 (eleven) tires from them at a small discount from their eBay prices---they like cash!

Lemme know if this is of interest.

J W
Thanks, J-Dub, I'll check my specs and consider this. never liked car Michelins but I like cash too
Right now I have electrical specs on my brain bc my full bath was demo'd today and the subs need to see what is going on under/above/behind before final design. I'm the 'purchasing agent'/ estimator.

Thanks everyone - sorry if I missed anyone, I'll follow up!
Old 04-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #10

about the options for mounts- My style of travel is low key. I only have basic recovery gear so it fits under my bed. Ive not wanted to load up cargo outside vehicle because....where I go people are nosy and my van draws too much attention being 4x4. Id LOVE to do more offroad but I like to ride and am a road cyclist so thats my first love I guess. But its fun to see the options available for sure! Gives me a better daydream material for 5-year, 10-year plan budgeting