Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #41
Site Team

Garage
Re: What tools, equipment do you carry?

Keith, I carry several flat nylon straps that are about 3 to 8' long but also carry chain. Use the strap as a buffer to keep the shock down. You got to take care when using chain. I'd like to carry synthetic rope like what's on my winch and might spring for some one of these days. If I would have known you needed a strap I would have brought an old one for ya in Oct. We test them yearly and toss the ones that fail. There great for tow straps. You know anybody that deals with cranes or derricks?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #42

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Thanks Dave. No. Don't know anyone in the crane or derrick business. Chain would be pretty heavy. I don't envision having to pull the Sprinter out of a bog, mainly on the road I think.

I was looking at something like this, http://www.gemplers.com/product/1631...0L-x-1-3-8-Dia but 20' is pretty short.

Regards,

Keith
Old 11-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #43

Straps are safer for recovery, and can be used as a tree saver for attaching a winch cable. Plus, a good tow strap (ie one rated for lifting) will have a higher strength-weight ratio compared to chain.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #44

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

For what it's worth; don't EVER use a tow strap as a tree saver. Tow straps by their definition stretch to absorb shock when TOWING. Tree saver straps don't stretch and hence don't store energy to anything like the degree a tow strap does. Using a tow strap as a winch cable extension or anchor is creating a potential bomb.
Bill
Old 11-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #45

hey skywagon - maybe i'm off here. I think "recovery straps" store kinetic energy and stretch. The tow straps don't do that which is why they are used for towing.

I used a tree saver for the tree. And I never shoot a tree.

warholic
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #46
Site Team

Tow straps and yank (or recovery) straps are not the same thing, though many people use the terms interchangeably. Tree straps on the other hand are typically quite a bit shorter than tow straps, are typically 2-3 times as wide as tow straps, and are not intended to stretch.

Herb
Old 11-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #47
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by warholic
hey skywagon - maybe i'm off here. I think "recovery straps" store kinetic energy and stretch. The tow straps don't do that which is why they are used for towing.

I used a tree saver for the tree. And I never shoot a tree.

warholic
That's what I also thought. A recovery strap is designed to stretch to help lessen the shock. Once loaded up they help assist the stuck vehicle out using momentum of your rig. Still you shouldn't blindly take off and jerk someone out with a recovery strap . And obviously hooking your winch hook to something that stretches can be bad but wire rope on your winch breaking can be just as bad. Even synthetic's can cause problems. I use typical lifting straps and don't even own a recovery strap but I've learned some poor habbits also

Old 11-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #48

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Soooo

I was looking at something like this, http://www.gemplers.com/product/1631...0L-x-1-3-8-Dia.

Is it what I need? The Sprinter weighs 8500 pounds.

Regards,
Keith
Old 11-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #49
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger
Soooo

I was looking at something like this, http://www.gemplers.com/product/1631...0L-x-1-3-8-Dia.

Is it what I need? The Sprinter weighs 8500 pounds.

Regards,
Keith
Hell you aint gettin an answer!
Keith, everything I've learned might as well have come from Larry the cable guy. I just know some tricks from being suck with heavy rigs at work so many times. So I'll just say we use some questionable practices from time to time. Tow ropes are scarry to me and I just use those heavy straps we lift things with. They don't stretch much but give enough so you don't rip something up. But I don't ever want to tow my SMB unless I absolutely have to. I got an idea on how to tow mine but I actually don't have a clue about a Sprinter.

Do sprinter's have tow hooks on the frame and do you want a strap to tow your rig or pull you out of being stuck? That might make a difference.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #50

Kmessenger - I will give direct answer -

if you are stuck in mud, sand, snow, etc and need to be pulled out you need a "recovery" strap that is sized for your vehicle and the force holding you in place. IMO, just bite the bullit and get the 3" wide recovery strap - rated at 30,000 lbs and should overcome your vehicle wt and any force holding you down. You may need it for someone else anyway, not just your rig. You also need properly rated D-shackles - at least 2 of them - to attach to your rig/rope and other guys rig/your rope. Shackle like Smitty Built 3/4" at about 5 ton rating.

If you need a tow strap, then it would be because someone is towing you somewhere ...... not "unsticking" you.

Those are different and I don't know what to get but they are cheaper than recovery straps. I've seen ppl use tow straps as recovery but NOT the other way around.
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote