Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #31
Site Team

Re: What went wrong?

It's threads like this one that makes me nervous about using my SMB alone many miles out on an isolated dirt road somewhere. I am not an auto mechanic and know nothing about fixing anything on my rig. I've been traveling alone on rough, isolated dirt roads for 40 years and have never had a problem out in the boonies. I have had problems on such trips, but they have always occurred just a few feet from a repair shop. I've actually never changed a tire in my life because every flat I've had has happened directly in front of a tire store or mechanic's shop. However, the other day I told my wife that I had just realized that if I ever did get a flat on my rig while alone out in the boonies I wouldn't have the strength to change my tire alone. So my HiLift jack is just a hood ornament.

Dang, now I've probably jinxed my good luck by writing this. Now I'll end up being the skeleton someone eventually finds by the side of the road with a lug wrench in his hands.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #32

Is it alright if I keep the lug wrench? Also, leave your wallet on the dash when changing flats.

All jokes aside, don't know about your personal strength issues, but there are mechanical means available to do things like change a tire with waaaay less exertion than a heavy@ss HiLift. My first thought would be a battery powered impact wrench that could drive a specifically adapted nut on a bottle jack... might require using two jacks to get lift, but they are so much more handy. The same battery powered impact can remove lug nuts. No, I do not have the impact wrench, but I do have a bottle and a 3ton/ with jackstand. Don't forget a platform of some kind.

If you have made forty years without walking, you must be doing something right. Plus they have those push button rescue thingies... but I know you are done spending money on your SMB
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #33

If I couldn't change a flat I wouldn't go offroad alone. I have seen 100 pound army people changing 18 wheeler flats in the desert. It can be done without a huge amount of strength.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #34

How can you translate the rotational power of the impact wrench to the levering action needed to raise a bottle jack??
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #35

Some bottle jacks rotate vs. lever up and down, at least my OEM does.

Just googled bottle jack and some came up that are air-actuated. I didn't delve deep, the two I saw were 20 ton, but it makes me wonder what all is available besides HiLift...
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Extreme-Aire is an extreme POS. I've had nothing but trouble with it, but now it's finally histoire. The smoke came out. No more worky. Gonna replace it with something else.
Z
Have you found a suitable replacement for the POS Extreme-Aire? I would like to have my upcoming on board air system Zeta Tested for durability and approved.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #37

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

I took the POS apart, replaced the burned wiring with slightly larger wire, new brushes, had the armature checked and cleaned, smoothed the brush holders and re-wired it with -8 cable and an excellent ground. Spent $45 and it seems to work well.

How long will it last? Would anyone like to volunteer to hold their breath?

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #38

Just got back from a 3800 mile trip up to the NW. What a great trip!!
What went wrong? Not a single thing!!!! The SMB performed like a champ! I/we have now spent 151 nights in it in the last 3 years.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #39

The only thing that ever goes wrong with my van is that my wallet seems to have less money available than I would like to spend on it.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I've actually never changed a tire in my life because every flat I've had has happened directly in front of a tire store or mechanic's shop. However, the other day I told my wife that I had just realized that if I ever did get a flat on my rig while alone out in the boonies I wouldn't have the strength to change my tire alone. So my HiLift jack is just a hood ornament.
My 2 cents.
Unless its a sidewall blowout, I would not change the tire at all. That's why I carry an ARB plug kit for. Only had to use it one time but it was a cinch. Put enough air in the tire using your on-board compressor till you find the leak, plug it and re-fill the tire right on the ground. No Jack, no mess. No having to lift that 35-incher up on the Aluminess tire carrier.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote