Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #1

Wheel size, offset, new to forum.

First off new to the forum. Used to use my 2013 e250 for work as a mobile fleet mechanic. Now I've recently changed careers and I got to take all those noisy messy tools out of my van. I only have 34 k miles on it. 4.6l. I have installed a rear seat in the factory location and I'm working on a mild build. Mostly just a fold down bed. It's going to be more of a moto van than a camper van. I want to have a partition to separate where the bikes will go from the main cabin. Anyways, I want to get the weld tec leveling kit and some bigger tires. I'm looking at wheels and don't know what size and off set to choose. Any advise and pics would be great. Here's some pics of my van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davy87nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #2

Garage
lots of good info here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ere-14541.html

bunch of people around here have discussed this thoroughly, so a search should yield you some answers. if i knew off the top of my head id post up, but havent really paid that close of attention since mine is 4wd. id search lift kits first, then search the people that you see in those threads that have lifted 2wd vans. theres a good handful of them around
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
lots of good info here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ere-14541.html

bunch of people around here have discussed this thoroughly, so a search should yield you some answers. if i knew off the top of my head id post up, but havent really paid that close of attention since mine is 4wd. id search lift kits first, then search the people that you see in those threads that have lifted 2wd vans. theres a good handful of them around

Good info in that thread. Thanks. I'll do some more searching. Not many 2wd vans in that thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Davy87nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #4

Garage
Hi Davy87nj ---

Hey, with a basic leveling kit I don't think you can go much beyond a 265-sized tire (most commonly a 265/75R16.)
But talk to Jeremy at WeldTec, he can set you up with that info.

If you're going *taller* with your lift (which Jeremy might advise, based on your desires/needs), you can jump to the quite-commonly-used 285 size tire (which a lot of guys with both 2WD *and* 4WD use here on the forum. (That would be either a 285/75R16 or a 285/70R17, on 8" rims, with zero offset. (4.5" backspacing.)

Here's another recent thread that goes into a lot of discussion around ideal tire size/width/offset, and quite a few of the posters on there (myself included) are 2WD guys:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...5-a-18003.html

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote