Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #11

Garage
Re: Where to buy/install pop top in or near Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
....If I recall, they are around $3000-$3500, uninstalled, depending on options, insulated top, insulated arctic canvas, vent fan...
imho, prolly a little more... unless i got charged extra for how much i called him, lol. my top insulated, with double canvas was right around $5500 shipped, but he did tell me mine was the last fiberine top he was interested in messing with. so maybe that was the extra cost?? no finish work at all, but he did provide me with enough ozite to cover the inside of the top.

op, if derek will ship another "kit" to boise then i can recommend a shop here that can install it np. if that interests you in the least bit, pm me and i can give you contact info.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Bee

That is a good idea about having it shipped closer. Though now I'm concerned about the roof strength with CCV. My friend has SMB top and its strong up the for walking on to tie down boats and also has solar panels. This is what I need. Does CCV support walking on to tie down gear? Also, how much did it cost to ship to Boise? I bet with that option, I could probably find a shop around here to do it.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Where to buy/install pop top in or near Seattle?

Derek stopped using fiberine a while back, his tops are now made using his own design, building the top around his mechanics to maximize the usable space, they are not as burly as SMB tops for walking on, however, they are much lighter and I had Derek make a platform rack out of aluminum, with extruded aluminum floor that I can walk on, I have my solar panel mounted to it too. The nice thing is that the rack is bolted through the fiberglass and through the tracks for the top mechanism, making it more or less, all one structural piece. The SMB tops fiberglass gel coat had a tendency to crack, they have switched to a rhino lined product recently to prevent this from happening. My old SMB top also developed a sag in the front where the tie down bolts were.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #14

I would concur with everyone's comparison/review on the CCV top. Coming from a manual SMB top to the CCV top, I must say it is better in every way (for us). Regarding the strength, I would not want to walk on my top directly - it is pretty dang light. In fact, the glass is thin enough in spots that I can see a little bit of light glowing through it. In my book having less weight up top is an advantage. If you need to have rooftop cargo, simply do as others say and have a rack built that puts the load path directly into the lifting hardware.

REF, I just saw a photo of your new top in another thread earlier - it looks great!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #15

Does anybody have anything to add on the noise factor of these different options?
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #16
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

As in noise filtering in from the outside?....if you opt for CCV's insulated canvas and top, it is a little quieter than SMB's single layer canvas. Plus Derek adds zip window coverings, not just drop down shades, so the windows are not only insulated better against noise, they're much more insulated against light up there too, makes it better for sleeping in on those cold mornings....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #17

Hey Bee, what did you end up doing? I'm also near Seattle, plan on getting an e-350 and putting a top on it myself. I'm thinking it will be the CCV low profile. I'd like to be able to buy one, and have someone here install it.
swortsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #18

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
...Also, how much did it cost to ship to Boise? I bet with that option, I could probably find a shop around here to do it.
$284.00 from loveland to boise roughly a year ago. keep in mind he already had a box to throw my top in since i got one of his last fiberine tops, so he didnt have to craft a container to ship it in.

id be really surprised if you couldnt find a local installer. i had 3 friends help me and it took us 4-5 hours for the top (minus the canvas, that i did mainly solo as time permitted), and none of us had ever done anything like this before. the guys who helped me can install the topper if for some reason you cant find a local place. i asked if they were interested in installing toppers when this thread first popped up and they said np. also, just to be clear, they are a legit business with a storefront and insurance, not just a group of my buddies at a shop drinking beer
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote