Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #11

My gut feeling is they will reopen, just a matter of when. They got me my awning 2 days ago and I had ordered on 5/23.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #12

Holy Crap!

They had a multiple shooting event from a disgruntled employee!

I remember hearing about it on the news but didn't connect the dots.
cmmitch357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #13

I e-mailed Fiamma and here is their reply:

"Due to the tragedy on June 5th, Fiamma Inc is closed until further notice. One-half of our work force was tragically victims on June 5 including all of our managers, technicians and administrators. We appreciate your patience, we are still planning and addressing whether and when to re-open the business and it will not be an easy task.

We are not filling or accepting any orders at this time.

Thanks for your kind understanding and loyalty to us,
Fiamma, Inc."
cmmitch357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:31 AM   #14

Have you considered not installing an awning and instead carry a high quality tent-like sunshade? I had an awning on my SMB for 16-years and found that I really didn't use it much. Trouble is - the sun is frequently not shining from an optimal angle to make the awning useful. Then there is size, complexity, cost, (looks?), etc. I recently decided not to replace the old awning, and went w/ a nice sunshade tent ($130) instead.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #15

Vindisl,

I agree with all of your reasons not having an awning, plus I seldom see wanting one for rain or snow coverage the way we use the van. I have been looking for what to carry along and have been contemplating a gull wing style of sunshade. How about a picture or link of what you settled on?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Vindisl,

I agree with all of your reasons not having an awning, plus I seldom see wanting one for rain or snow coverage the way we use the van. I have been looking for what to carry along and have been contemplating a gull wing style of sunshade. How about a picture or link of what you settled on?
Kelty Sunshade w/ Sidewall. On Amazon for $119.95.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindisl View Post
Kelty Sunshade w/ Sidewall. On Amazon for $119.95.
Or tarp or shade cloth, 2 or four expandable poles, some line, and some stakes. I would bungie the tarp to the top, sometimes the rain gutters. Sometimes off the back, or either side, or free standing. We use tarpage a lot anyway for picnic table coverage and so on. So a awning welded to the van doesn't do us much good, especially if the nice spots aren't smack up about the van sides.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #18

Garage
Sportshade

I carry the Sportshade. You can attach it to virtually anything and it works on the sides or back of the van.

https://youtu.be/la_ypWwtiVM

Old 12-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #19

Did you end up getting a Fiamma awning? If so, did you install it or have it done? Looking at buying one
vashoncamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #20

Resurrecting this thread for a moment. I'm considering getting an awning but when I look at my 2006 Ford E-350 with barn doors, and then look at photos of various awnings attached to the rain gutters (where the doors are always shown closed), I wonder if an awning is even viable if you mainly want it so you can put it out AND have the doors open while it's raining.

Seems to me that the barn doors, when open, would prevent the awning from having much, if any, downward slope...creating a big puddle in the middle of the thing. From years of awnings on an Airstream experience, I know this basically makes the thing pointless and you have to sit there pushing up to empty it non-stop.

Any thoughts on this or photos of anyone with a E-series van, barn doors and an awning of any type?
wandrly is offline   Reply With Quote