Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #21

Garage
We have the Fiamma 45 - The awning has plenty of slope to keep rain from pooling on the top (two stout extension bars, along with a center brace which adjusts from awning case to the outer edge of the awning offers great support). We have lowered the awning many times to the point the awning fabric just makes contact with the top corner of the open barn doors...usually just place a small towel up there to separate the two (awning fabric is very durable, we simply do it as an added precaution). Just be aware in heavy rains, the water on the roof overruns the rain gutter so you may have water dripping down from behind the awning - at that point we keep the barn doors closed.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #22

Thanks Twoxentrix, that's great info!
wandrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #23

Here's an alternative to Fiamma. Plenty of brands available with similar design. Personally i prefer the 180 over the 270 which gets too bulky for my taste. This particular one is the OVS 180 Nomad.Attachment 36816Attachment 36817Click image for larger version

Name:	20201003_155232.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	36819
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #24

Well, looks like my previous post didn't fully work and all you guys got to see was a very compact awning packed away! Here's what I was talking about...
Attached Thumbnails
20201003_164243.jpg   20201003_163327.jpg  
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:29 AM   #25

Hey Abitibi! Looking good! I bet you are having lots of fun with this build!.

re: the awning you are using - The legless style awnings will NOT work on vans with a pop top since the gutter is not capable of handling the leverage and loads. They "might" work with a fixed top if the backing plates for the mounts are large enough to spread the loads created from the leverage. The legless awnings will work if mounted to a roof rack that spans across a stock roof. They could be mounted to a the roof rack on a fixed top, however, keep in mind the awning case would be about 8ft or more off the ground.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
We have the Fiamma 45 - ..... Just be aware in heavy rains, the water on the roof overruns the rain gutter so you may have water dripping down from behind the awning - at that point we keep the barn doors closed.
For a pop top equipped van - a 1/16th thick x 8 inch x 8 feet piece of ABS plastic can be installed behind the awning case to shut off the gap between awning and the gutter. This prevents nearly all the rain from coming through the gap and channels the rain into the gutter where it drains off to the front or back.

The upper edge of the ABS sheet will nest into the hook that runs along the upper back edge of the F45s awning case. The lower edge will need to scribed and cut to match the contour (curve) of the gutter. A few notches will be required to provide clearance of the mounting brackets. The ABS can be secured to the back face of the awning brackets using VHB tape.

Zoom in on this pic and you will see the black ABS piece between the front and rear brackets.
Click image for larger version

Name:	14982BAE-0F76-478E-AE7C-C42E9EAF3BDA.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	36873
Old 11-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
Here's an alternative to Fiamma. Plenty of brands available with similar design. Personally i prefer the 180 over the 270 which gets too bulky for my taste. This particular one is the OVS 180 Nomad.Attachment 36816Attachment 36817Attachment 36819
Very cool Abitibi. I've seen these under a couple of names lately. It will be my next awning but likely for a truck camper, not a van.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
For a pop top equipped van - a 1/16th thick x 8 inch x 8 feet piece of ABS plastic can be installed behind the awning case to shut off the gap between awning and the gutter. This prevents nearly all the rain from coming through the gap and channels the rain into the gutter where it drains off to the front or back.

The upper edge of the ABS sheet will nest into the hook that runs along the upper back edge of the F45s awning case. The lower edge will need to scribed and cut to match the contour (curve) of the gutter. A few notches will be required to provide clearance of the mounting brackets. The ABS can be secured to the back face of the awning brackets using VHB tape.
I had contemplated something along those line, but you just gave me the answers to the test - appreciate that 1der!
Did you purchase the ABS plastic at a hardware store? I'm sure i can find it on-line, but would like to take a look at a sample before I just order.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #29
KDB

My Darsche 270 works well with the pop top. Backing plates required through the main body. Custom build and body allowed for that, however. Darsche has a strong hub hinge other less expensive brands don't have. I also don't find the 270 that bulky as stated above. Very much comparable to the 180's in terms of packed size. Atleast from the 180 units i was checking out at the time i purchased.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote