Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Site Team

Which is less likely to be broken into?

Hi All,
Someone on another board brought up a good point today that I hadn't considered before. In my build I'm trying to leave the outside of the van as plain looking as I can. So it will just look like another white Ford cargo van you see all over the place.The point was raised that thieves would be more included to break into a work van than a conversion van.
I don't know if this is true or not but it makes sense. Nothing is easier to hock or sell at a flea market than a bunch of tools. Things you'd find in a work van.
It's really got me thinking. So what do you all think about the idea? Are conversion vans less of a target?
Thanks,
Dave

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Which is less likely to be broken into?

Maybe something like "CDC Mobile Herpes Testing Unit" stenciled on the rig might be effective in keeping undesirables away.

Just a thought
Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #3

Well, you've got the one group cleaning out tools which means they have a truck or van to put them in, which would be more likely to break into a cargo van.

The other side is the meth head who is going to break your window in hopes of an iPod or something else they can pocket or put under their arm and unload for a few bucks. While nobody is really safe from that guy, having all the fancy items you're trying to avoid on the outside makes it seem like a better target for inside.

So, splitting the difference I think you should go for basic van- rv style windows won't appear any different from any window van, but at the same time make the statement "no tools!". Then skip anything fancy on the outside- Aluminess, rims, roofrack. Nobody notices a PH top, and honestly without the Aluminess bumpers the vans get pretty nondescript pretty quick in my opinion.

Better yet, put windows all down the sides, and front to back fill the interior with belt-less nondescript bench seats. Paint it yellow with black stripes.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #4

I'm thinking of installing puck locks on all of my doors. You can see them installed on the Badger (about halfway down the page):

http://s94153639.onlinehome.us/sportsmo ... rior.shtml

They won't stop someone from breaking a window and taking stuff out of the van. However, even if they break a window, they're still not getting the door open so whatever they get will have to be removed through the window.

I figure the locks would at least discourage some thieves. Because my old van has wing windows, it's extremely easy to break into with just a coat hanger. I know because I locked my keys in there already. *sigh*
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

On my Harley trailer I painted a sign that read

USED TOILETS
we buy and sell all your sh...ers

I never had anyone steal anything,

Ron
Old 04-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda
I'm thinking of installing puck locks on all of my doors. You can see them installed on the Badger (about halfway down the page):

They won't stop someone from breaking a window and taking stuff out of the van. However, even if they break a window, they're still not getting the door open so whatever they get will have to be removed through the window.

I figure the locks would at least discourage some thieves. Because my old van has wing windows, it's extremely easy to break into with just a coat hanger. I know because I locked my keys in there already. *sigh*
Don't worry, the new vans can be opened in 20 seconds with a slim jim. When I locked my keys inside.

Miike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Site Team

I drove down to the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. this weekend. On the way I passed a truck from a company called Medical Waste Recovery, Inc.
On the side of the truck was written Infectious Medical Waste.
Now if that doesn't deter a burglar, nothing will.
Might have to get a magnetic sign like that.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskoda

The puck locks and the 3M bullet proof window application which would stop window breakers. 3M makes a product specifically for this application. I think it can have tint too so you can do two things at once.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote