Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #21

Garage
Re: Which side for Aluminess ladder?

X4

Old 10-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I just got a rear-door stainless steel ladder off CL tonight. For those of you who have had these, are there any issues to be aware of? Obviously, only use it with the door closed! [emoji3] But is the rear door really strong enough to support climbing up it? Any issues with rust where the ladder hooks over the door? I plan to use wide fender washers at the bottom inside the door when I mount it.
I never had problems with mine. Really the main issue was carrying boats on the roof blocked the ladder, and it was awkward when the trailer was hooked up. I never felt like the door wasn't strong enough.

I did not have rust problems, but I made sure to use some butyl sealant when I installed it. I have seen other vans with rust from the ladder install, but I would blame it more on improper install than the fact a ladder is present.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:14 PM   #23

Thanks!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
My ladder is behind the rear wheel, driver side. It was the only place left. The right side would block the vents for water heater & furnace. The back doors are already covered by spare tire & cargo box on swing arms.
That's where my ladder is as well but I don't see how the ladder blocks the vents? Plenty of room for the exhaust to get by the rungs, no?

I'm thinking about adding an additional ladder, if anything so I can use my grill attachment on the passenger side
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #25

drivers side no interference with awing. thule box with solar panels opens on both sides. makes it very nice. balances out van.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH

I'm thinking about adding an additional ladder, if anything so I can use my grill attachment on the passenger side
Details of the grill attachment please. We want to engineer a table that attaches to the ladder so any ideas are helpful.

-John
Old 10-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
My ladder is behind the rear wheel, driver side. It was the only place left. The right side would block the vents for water heater & furnace. The back doors are already covered by spare tire & cargo box on swing arms.
That's where my ladder is as well but I don't see how the ladder blocks the vents? Plenty of room for the exhaust to get by the rungs, no?

My furnace vent is right behind my ladder, blowing directly on the left arm of it. There's 6" or so between ladder and van side wall and it does fine. The ladder will get barely warm to the touch with the furnace running. I'm betting he means access for the hot water heater more than any problem with a furnace vent. Hot water heaters have a fold down door, which you do need to open from time to time even if you have an auto ignition model.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi
Details of the grill attachment please. We want to engineer a table that attaches to the ladder so any ideas are helpful.
-John
I got the clamps to hold the Solaire grill from Jason of PRG at the last Overland Expo. http://productresearchgear.com/
He had them fabricated by Fourtreks. http://fourtreks.com/index.html
I imagine you could fabricate something similar if you have the skillz and chutzpah

they fold up nicely for travel. Question is, is another ladder worth it so I can move my grill closer to the passenger side cooking area? Time will tell but I've spent more money on dumber things.
Attached Thumbnails
grill clamp3.JPG   grill clamp4.JPG   grill clamp2.JPG  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote